Where to buy Thermostat

Hi-

I drive a 2000 XLT with a bad Thermostat... sucessfully diagnosed doe to posts in this newsgroup... Thanks!

I want to buy a new one and learn how to install it myself, since the dealer wants 30 bucks for a Ford part and 114 bucks to install it. I figure I'll flush the coolent, replace the belt, and take out the thermostat all at once.

I've heard here that Stant Thermostats are the best. Where can I buy one online and what part number should I be looking for? Also, I see Oreilly Autoparts has one in stock nearby, but it's an Oreilly brand. Which way should I go?

Thanks, TRoy

Reply to
tfandango

M Hoaglan

There's a USED thermostat on eBay UK here:

you really believe somebody is selling a used thermostat? Simon H

Reply to
Simon H

I just did the thermostat on my 2000 Exp Sport, 4.0 OHV at 75,000 miles. I would suggest you do it yourself.

The only part on mine that had to be removed was the small plastic shield for the throttle body. once removed, the 3 bolts holding the thermostat housing were almost just hand tight. not much more. I think I used a 12 mm socket on mine. Do not over tighten when putting it back. You will see what I mean. A small rubber o-ring type bushing holds the thermostat center hole. Almost forget, first remove about 1 gallon of antifreeze. I didn't suck enough out and ended up cleaning the garage floor when complete. Took all of 1 hour, start to finish. This is a good time to change the fluid if you haven't already. I had just changed the fluid this past summer.

I bought the O'reilly brand for $5. it seems to be fine. The name on the box says "Murray" interesting....

Good Luck Scott

Reply to
Scott Van Nest

I guess you're a newby to the web. All it took was a google search for " stant thermostat" The first entry was:

have a complete on-line catalog. Give it a shot!

Reply to
syclone

I'm glad to see that nobody has bid on it...yet, anyway. This guy really thinks he can get 1 quid or more for a used t-stat...bollocks!

Can you really believe somebody is selling a used thermostat?>

Reply to
Kevin D

Make sure you get the right o ring. this is critical!

Reply to
lovs2fly

And another IMPORTANT thing....be sure you orient it correctly (look at the old one). If up sidedown you're screwed!

Reply to
Ted

Cadillac. They didnt have one for the Explorer at the time and I can't remember the name now.

Reply to
Mr. Whatever