Battery maintenance

2001 XLT 4WD My battery is staring at me with a red "eye". I'm sure it should be blue. I am assuming it needs water, but I thought I had a "mainteneance free" battery. Its the original, and I cannot get to the cells to add water (if possible)without disconnecting both battery cables and removing a plastic cover of sorts. Can someone clarify this situation for me? I would appreciate it. Thanks
Reply to
rex

The eye on the battery is there for predelivery purposes only. In reality. it is simply two coloured balls that migrate up and down in an angled tube.... once the battery has been in service for a while, the tube can gather debris trapping the balls immobile. It is first a poor mans hydrometer and second, only measures one cell.

It may, in fact require the addition of distilled water though this will usually buy you a years use at best. New batteries are genrally of such light construction that they can't handle much abuse. Before we have the nay-sayers, yes, I have had batteries that have lasted for a long, log time but usually opt to replace them before they leave me stranded. I have little patience for broken machinery and even less free time to deal with the results... I much prefer to replace or repair at MY liesure than when my car demands it....

Sorry to digress.... what I meant was that the eye is a poor way to judge the batteries condition.

Reply to
Jim Warman

I service my battery twice a year - in the fall and in the spirng. I disconnect the battery cables and remove the battery cover and top off the cells with distilled water (about 1/2" from the top of the cell). I then clean off my battery post and cables with a wire battery post cleaner. At the first sign of the battery slow cranking the starter, I replace the battery. I usually get 4-5 years out of my battery.

Reply to
To Arms!!

Reply to
Ratbert

I never touch my battery and I get over 5 years per.

Alan Moorman

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Paul Fix

Reply to
Alan Moorman

I have to agree with Jim (and yes this is a little OT). Any more, when my batteries get to the end of their projected life, usually 4-6 years, I start looking for sales and pick up a replacement when it's convenient, as opposed to scrounging around and paying the going rate when it dies unexpectedly. This is based on too much personal experience, after which I finally realized that delaying the $60 expenditure and trying to get another 6 months out of a battery wasn't worth the headache of getting stranded or delayed when it finally gives up the ghost, usually without warning. I've seen almost as many batteries die during summer heat as of winter cold, usually of an internal short caused by mechanical failure. No warning, just a small pop when you turn the key to start. Have even seen where there's enough left in it to run the headlights, but the higher current of the starter is just too much for it to handle. YMMV.

Steve

Reply to
Just_Steve