Best tires?

Our 2008 Mountaineer Premier needs new tires. The current 235/65R18 Michelins (not the LTX series) are remarkably worn at just under 30K miles. Because of the amazing results I have had with the Michelin LTX M/S tires on my '97 Explorer I was looking to get those, but had some sticker shock when I saw the price for the 18" size is almost double what I paid for the

30x9.5R15 tires on the Explorer. Questions:

  1. Is the LTX M/S still thought of as the best (traction and very long life...almost 100K on the Explorer)?

  2. The only 18" option in the LTX M/S is the 245/60R18. Same overall tire diameter, is that width OK on the stock wheel?

=Vic=

Reply to
Vic Klein

I've been an LTX M/S kinda guy for many years.... last full set I bought I just grit my teeth and took it like a man 8^)

Other tires that I have been impressed with include the Hankook Z36.... these tires (as I recall) cleaned the tread nicely in snow and could withstand the sharp gravel we had on the roads around Fox Creek, Alberta.

You should be good to go with that tire size on your stock rims... these are an LT rated tire and not a P rated tire, right?

Reply to
Jim Warman

"Vic Klein" wrote in news:4bc0dbf2$0$19674$ snipped-for-privacy@news-radius.ptd.net:

2002 Mountaineer AWD V8 here. I love my Bridgestone Dueler Revo's. Best tire I've every had as far as traction in snow, ice, boat ramps, while still being very street-worthy. Haven't worn them out yet at 50K. Only downside is that they are a little noisier than stock. Take a look. If you do, make sure they are the "Revo" model. Duelers without Revo are totally different.
Reply to
me

You might have the Cross Terrains. One thing to remember is that the OEM tires you got with the truck is not the same as tires you buy in the store. The car companies buy those tires in bulk, and they are manufactured differently. And plus I don't think OEM tires are covered under warranty. So you will get different results with new tires. In fact, the new Cross Terrains have a 65,000 mile warranty.

Reply to
Mikepier

My '03 still has the stock Cross terrains @ 60k miles. I have a few miles left on them so maybe I will get 70k. I like them and they ride smooth enough. However I have the LT M/S on my '01 F150 SuperCrew and now have

106k on the them. My tire guy says I have about 25k or so left because they still have pretty deep tread. The original Generals lasted 75K and the replacement Generals lasted 70k,
Reply to
Richard