mileage

I just had the tires replaced on my 02 Exp 4x4 at 45k miles. I replaced the stock Goodyear Wrangler AP's 245 70 R16 with Michelin LTX M/S 255 70 R16's. The ride is great, but I've noticed a slight reduction in fuel economy (about 2 mpg). Any ideas?

Reply to
Tony

:-/ I don't recall at the moment the exact specs for my tires, but stock, they came with Michelin tires... not Goodyear. Is it a difference in locale where purchased as to what tires are used? or what makes the difference here?

Reply to
Tim

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you replace the tires with the same stock size?

Reply to
SizzleMP

I swapped mine, too, and noticed that they are apparently a little smaller in diameter, because the automatic speed indicators by the side of the road read 3 - 4 MPH lower, now, than with the factory Firestones.

They;re turning at the same speed -- the speedometer is indicating, say, 35, but instead of matching the speed radars exactly, the radars now indicate 31 or 32 MPH.

That means I'm traveling fewer feet for every indicated mile on the odometer.

Whatever that all means......

Alan

Reply to
Alan Moorman

A hush fell over the crowd when, Alan snipped-for-privacy@visi.com stepped up to the podium and announced:

I'm not sure but it could be affecting your odometer as well. If it does, you're racking up more miles on your odometer than what you're actually driving. Not a good thing at trade in time.

Reply to
01dynanospam

Good call.... if one calculates the roll-out of the new tire and selects a tire with similar or identical roll-out, there is a very good cahnce that the dealer can reprogram the vehicles speedometer quite simply. While in Edmonton at yet another Ford school, I stopped at Costco and purchased a set of LTX M/S in 265/70R16s for my SuperCrew - replacing the 10 ply 265/75R16 Coopers the previous owner installed (man that was a rough ride)..... I borrowed one of the schools WDSs at lunch break and soon had myself square with the world once again.

In case you're wondering why I didn't purchase them at home...... here in Alberta I haven't seen anyone beat Costcos price on Michelin tires.

Jim Warman

Thanks Capt MacMahon. I have had LTX's on 2 previous SUV's and loved them. I was looking forward to replacing the stock Goodyears!

Reply to
Tony

I keep my cars until they're falling apart, and they don't get 'traded', they get junked!

Alan

Reply to
Alan Moorman

Easy to figure! Darn few Americans ever paid any attention to science in school. Many never took any, I would guess.

Then they get out in what passes for the real world, and they don't have a clue. . . .

Alan

Reply to
Alan Moorman