Mlchelin Cross Pilot Tires

Can someone tell me when Michelin brought out the Cross-Pilot tire? It seems that they are now everywhere, including on new Mercury Mountaineers. Yet just a few years ago when I last bot tires for our '99 Explorer, I bot a different Michelin..an LTX something or other. Is the Cross Pilot something new?

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Oops, I meant CROSS-TERRAIN tires! "Pilot" is another model!

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Michelin introduced them I think in the last year or 2. I got a set for my 99 Explorer back in February, and I think they are great. I can't really compare it to the LTX M/S because I never had those tires.

Reply to
SizzleMP

Reply to
Tony

I guess my real question is: What is the difference (price, wear, ride, abilities) between LTX M/S tires and Cross-Terrains??????

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

As I recall, the Cross Terrains are a little more expensive than the LTX M/S. The Tire Rack

should give you that information.

I put a set of LTX M/S tire on a '95 Explorer with around 100,000 on it, including the original shocks. I thought the vehicle rode and handled fine. The only complaint I had about the tires was that they howled when driven on wet pavement above 50 MPH.

I now have an '03 Explorer that came with Cross Terrains. Ride and handling is good, but I am talking about much different vehicles. The Cross Terrains don't howl in the rain like the LTX M/S tires did.

Bob...

Reply to
Robert L. Burns

Tony,

What is about the LTX do you prefer over the Cross Terrains?

Shane

Reply to
--Shane--