Brake pad for '03

I have a 2003 XLT V6. The dealer advised me that at around 20K miles ( next service ) I probably would need front pads. Tipically, I try not to have the rotors turned when I replace pads. Basically, the rotors usually don't have enough mass to begin with, and after turning, even once, they usually warp before they hit another 5K miles. It's usually a battle because mechanics still seem to be bound by the old brake shoe and drum technology. If the rotor isn't scored, all it needs is a little roughing up and that's it. If the rotor needs truing, I feel it's less expensive in the long run to replace it. Anybody have any opinions?

Another thing what would be the best pads to use on this vehicle. This would have to be done at an independent shop.

Sy Cohen

Reply to
Sy Cohen

Is this an automatic vehicle? I can't see being out of pads at 20,000 miles. I have a 2000 Exp Sport and have 70,000 with lots of brake pad left. Yet, mine is a manual. but I really can't see that being that dramatic of a difference. I would think you have another issue. If you had quite a few miles on it, I would replace the discs also along with the pads. With the low miles I can't really see the discs being bad.

Or you have an overanxious dealership.

Reply to
Scott Van Nest

Do you drive with your foot resting on the brake pedal? My '01 with 23000 miles shows almost no pad wear and the rotors are still smooth. Unless the pedal is pulsating or the rotors are DEEPLY scored, I'd just replace the pads, if needed. I'd either look myself or get a second opinion from someone I trust. H

Reply to
Hairy

Sy Cohen

Reply to
cyclone

That's because he wants to sell you some brake pads and the labor to install them, which is about a one hour flat rate job, but can be done in a few minutes by skilled wrench. Take a wheel off and eye-ball them yourself to see how worn they really are. You might even be able to see the pads through the end of the caliper if you just climb under the car (without jacking it) with a good flashlight.

I'm with you, except I do not replace rotors for "scoring". If they have grooves worn circumferentially around the pad cointact surface, the pads will very quickly wear to the same shape and your braking will be fine.

The *only* reasons that I would replace rotors would be they are warped (evidenced by pulsation during braking) or if they had worn past the minimum thickness spec, which would make them more likely to warp. BTW, I have never seen a rotor that wore past minimum thickness spec unless someone turned them.

Personally, I like Raybestos PG Plus (Pro Grade) which can be found at many parts jobbers or online at

No affiliation, yada, yada...

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W

Thanks a lot Fred. I'm afraid that I'll have to take it into a local shop to look the pads. I tore my quad tendon last winter and I don't do well on my knees yet. Does that qualify you for disability if you're in sales?

Sy Cohen

Reply to
cyclone

I know it would in my company... ;-)