Buying a 1991 Ford Explorer

I am buying a 91 ford explorer soon and it has 160,000 miles on it. I am getting it for 2600 and wondering if there is any concerns i should have or ask the guy about...any input would be appreciated

Reply to
J-Fly

Well, you said "any input would be appreciated", so here goes:

I'd be mostly concerned as to why I am paying $2600 for a 14 year old high mileage truck. You must be buying it from a used car lot. It's not likely to be worth that much.

I'd be concerened that I'd probably be putting more money into this truck in the first year than what I paid for it.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W

Reply to
psinapse

AQsk the guy if you can take it to your mechanic for a checkout. By now, the normal maintenance items (radiator, for example) should have been replaced. BTW, you mention the price; $2600 for a 160K 91? It better be an immaculate EB 4x4.

Reply to
Big Bill

Find out if the transmission has been rebuilt or replaced yet. They have a tendency to fail around this kind of mileage, or maybe a little more. Like someone else said for that price it should be in great shape and 4X4. Around here (Southern California) the 2WD classic Explorers are pretty much worthless. A rebuild on the trans could cost you anywhere from around $700-$2000 or more. If it's 4X4 take it out on some loose dirt and make sure the 4 High and 4 Low (needs to be in N to activate) buttons work and the front hubs lock. My '92 is now semi-retired at 265K miles. It got to the point where it was cheaper to buy a brand new truck and make car payments and insurance than to keep the 'ol Mar's Explorer running. Now we are planning on using it mainly when the mud is a foot deep and for going to play in the snow etc. It still looks real good (EB) and still runs really well but it has become a money pit.

Reply to
Ulysses

Seems expensive to me.

Do a search on EBay.

I did and found this one

1991 Eddie Bauer standing at $51.00, six days to go mind you.
Reply to
limeybiker

Transmission if automatic. Vacuum hoses for climate control and engine function.

$2600 seems high unless the truck is > I am buying a 91 ford explorer soon and it has 160,000 miles on it. I am

Reply to
Richard Ray