Check Eng Light On, No Failure Codes

I have a 95 Explorer with133k miles. The check engine light is on most of the time. The Accutron code checker shows no faults. I have done the "wiggle" test and wiggled all connectors and no faults are indicated. The car runs fine, the mileage is normal, plugs were replaced at 111k miles just because I thought it was about time. I have replaced the gasket on the gas cap and the PCV valve as items that may cause a fault that is not listed in the book. I have not done a fuel pressure check. Every once in a while the engine may hesitate when taking off from a stop, that is the only thing that the car is doing wrong. Any ideas?

Reply to
cadshop

Recently the CEL came on on my '97. I replaced the air filter and cleaned the throttle body, MAF, and IAC. After three drive cycles the CEL went off and has not come back on. A dirty IAC might cause some low speed hesitation. I used carburator cleaner (spray) on mine but brake cleaner might be safer on the sensors. Be gentle and careful. I don't know if there is a difference between throttle body cleaner and carburator cleaner but I've used both with success on the throttle body.

Reply to
Ulysses

Thanks for the suggestions I did all of those things today. The light is still on but I'll give it a couple of days. I had also used a propane torch to direct propane around the manifold and various vacum connections and never noticed any engine speed changes. This weekend I was out of town and the car sat outside in below freezing weather. The check engine light seldom came on in the cold temps. Normally the light comes on about 4 seconds after starting the engine making me believe that the computer did a check and found a fault. If I do an immediate scan I only get a code 116 for too low of coolant temperature. However the scan clears the light and it does not come on again until I restart the engine. Interesting. I'm glad my smog check is not due for awhile so there is no real rush to get the problem fixed.

Reply to
cadshop

Yes, several times in the last 2 months. Only one time did I get any codes and that was a 214 and 538. I unplugged and reconnected the connectors to the Ignition Control Module, PCM and crank sensor. I have never seen the codes again.

Reply to
cadshop

Since you said you didn't get any codes on your scanner I have to ask: did you run it with the engine off AND running?

Reply to
Ulysses