Clunking noise when acceleratiing

I have a 98 Explorer XLT, 5.0L AWD, and when I give it gas I feel and hear a clunk coming from what seems to be down the middle of the car. Originally it was only when I hit the gas pedal hard, but now seems to happen whenever the truck is under any kind of tourque. I friend thinks it is the transfer case chain slipping. Does this sound right or wrong to anyone.

--sean.

Reply to
Sean Kirby

Motor mounts? Transmission mounts, somehow?

Bill Jeffrey ======================

Sean Kirby wrote:

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey

Could be a bad universal joint, or the slip joint at the front of the driveshaft needing lube.

Reply to
Big Bill

Is it a single 'clunk' or a series of clunks?

Mine (98 XLT SOHC) did the same when pulling a loaded trailer up the last hill before home. We determined it was the transfer case (advice from two sources) and decided to have it serviced by the dealership. I guess they did an oil change, that's all.

25,000 miles later, its still good. The clunk went away, and this is the one and only time I have ever been satisfied with the advice and work of my dealership!

I suggest that you do a service on the TC for starters.

David Raleigh

Reply to
David

The amount of "clunks" depends on the load it is under. It sounds like the problem you were having. I guess I will take it to the dealership. Thanks to everyone.

--sean.

Reply to
Sean Kirby