replace starter 1992 saab 900S

I just decided to replace my own starter in my 1992 saab conv 900s. This will be the first time i have done a saab. It looks relatively straight forward. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks Gene

Reply to
PapaGene

Unbolt the throttle body - it makes life much easier.

The starter is held on with 4 bolts, two at the front, accessible by first removing the plastic clutch cover, and two at the back, holding it to a bracket which bolts onto the block.

Removing/refitting the plastic clutch cover is a bit tricky first time you do it. The one thing to bear in mind is that you won't break it - trust me. You can yank as hard as you want, it won't break. Just make sure you remove all the bolts (3 or 4) holding it in place first.

Reply to
Grunff

Thanks Grunff. One other Question there is a rod that connects the troddle body to the block it looks like it bolts in to a welded nut. the bolt to this rod is behind tne clutch cover will that be a problem .

thanks gene

Reply to
PapaGene

Thanks Grunff. When you say unbolt the troddle do you mean the rod that holds the troddle that has a bolt going into a welded nut connected to the block. This bolt looks like it has to be loosened after the clutch cover comes off. The nut is welded to the rod .

Thanks in advance ,gene

Reply to
PapaGene

No, you'll need to remove the clutch cover anyway to access the front starter bolts, and when you remove it you'll be able to see the bolt head of the bracket bolt.

Reply to
Grunff

Tryed to get the rotor off to replace it with a new one. Does not want to budge. Anyone tell me what I am doing wrong.

thanks gene

Reply to
PapaGene

Can anyone tell me how to remove the rotor.

Thanks Gene

Reply to
PapaGene

Do you mean brake rotor (disk), ignition rotor (rotor arm) or some other rotor? :-)

Reply to
Grunff

Do you mean brake rotor (disk), ignition rotor (rotor arm) or some other rotor? :-)

Reply to
Grunff

Deja Vu?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Mange tout my old chum, mange tout.

Reply to
Grunff

How to remove Igniton rotor?

Thanks Gene

Reply to
PapaGene

Pull! Just grab it and pull hard.

Reply to
Grunff

Thanks again Grunff . starter install went well thanks to your reply. really appreciate your response

again thank you

Reply to
PapaGene

No Problem.

Glad you're getting there. Is there much else to do on it?

Reply to
Grunff

no gruff this car is mint. I purchased it new in 92 and promised the wife i would keep it 20 yrs. well I have put ads in from time to time but when i get calls i chicken out. Lucky the people laugh and say i understand. Car has had lots of work lots of body work but not from rot from other people banging in to it or car door nicks. Sabb has put 4 new trans in it they have been great. Its an automatic and from what ive been told they have had problems with them,but sabb has been right there. I also have a mercedes and 2 mo old dodge carravan. love the sabb the best. over and out thanks again gene

Reply to
PapaGene

BTW, it is Saab, not Sabb.

Reply to