Engine Misfire, now non-starting 99 SOHC

HI Jim (and others),

I read with interest the Engine Misfire postings. My 99 SOHC (107,000 mi) just did similar things, but is still sitting in the local shop, unable to be started ...

The other night, I came home after my 50 mile highway commute, and stopped in the driveway (shut off engine) to retrieve something blocking my spot in the garage. When I restarted the car, it had a hard time starting and ran very roughly. I pulled into the garage & shut off & restarted, same thing.

I had experienced this before a couple of times, and previously after sitting overnight it started & ran fine. I figured something in the fuel system did not like the shut off / immediate restart behavior after a long run.

This time the next morning it was still running roughly, and the CEL came on. I limped to the local shop (which had done the 100,000 service a while back including plug change, wire change, and coil pack change). They claimed the coil pack needed changed due to a 'miss' at higher RPMs with the new plugs/wires. I wasn't really convinced but let them change it anyway, figuring it to be good 'insurance' if the coil pack was a known problem item.

During the drive there, when I got above ~25MPH, the CEL started blinking. When I came to a stop or a lower speeds, it was on steadily. I smelled what seemed like wire insulation smoldering, but no smoke was visible. All 'gauges' were at normal levels, BTW.

When I got there, I shut it off, got the tech to come over, & restarted, still rough. No smoke or additional burning smell at that time. Shut off, filled out paperwork, he restarted & pulled into garage slot.

Apparently that was the last time the thing started at all!

Anyway, there was only a P0302 code, and he checked the plug, wire, etc., and other things for signs of disconnections, arcing or other damage. With key turned on, the 12V gets to the coil pack power wire in the 4-connector plug, but now there is no secondary voltages (no spark) apparently to any of the spark plugs.

Supposedly he checked the position sensor ...?

He got another coil pack to try, same thing.

He thinks maybe it is the computer, not sending control signals to the coil pack. But it is an expensive thing to try blind ...

I don't know if a fault condition could cause the computer to go into a shutdown mode that needs reset - he says not.

His 'buddy' mechanic at a local Ford dealer is trying to help him diagnose the problem ...

Maybe having it towed to said dealer is the only solution at this point ...

Reply to
Rick Young

Sounds like it might be better to have it towed to the dealer, anyway.... this shop is grasping at straws.

P0302 is, quite simply, a misfire on cylinder #2.... might be ignition, might be fuel, might be base engine. Some form of diagnosis is a must... we can't just start throwing parts willy-nilly.When the CEL was blinking, the PCM saw a condition that could damage the catalyst (this is what we call a class A misfire).

There is a logical way to approach this type of diagnosis.... since the car will no longer start, they need to abandon misfire diagnosis and commence with 'no start' diagnosis. This shouldn't be a hard "do" for a qualified tech.... and it shouldn't have you inundated with phone calls asking for permission to change umpteen dozen parts.

I realize I haven't given much help, but all I can say is that these guys shouldn't be "trying" parts.... they should be doing their jobs - and that is diagnosing problems.

Good luck and I hope this repair isn't a spendy one.

Jim Warman