84 Toyota Celica 22R-E Misfire

Ok earlier I posted a topic about this car not staying running well i fixed that problem and now im tryin to find the miss. All the spark plugs are new (NGK) and the wires and distributor cap and rotor are as well. The ignition coil I checked for resistence and it all checked out good. I adjusted the bi pass air and it leveled out but still has the miss. I pulled the plugs after running it for a few days and the plugs seem to all be burning at the same rate because they all look the same and I dont smell any fuel on them. When I drive it it sounds like a miss at idle but when i speed up to like 20 or 30 mph it almost sounds like it levels out and the miss corrects itself or something and runs ok til you hit 50 mph then it runs the miss fire. So if anyone has any helpful advice im all ears.

Reply to
DJ_SLIK_GARLAND

What was the problem that you fixed?

Have you checked the timing?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Double check that the plugs you installed are gapped properly.

You could also pull one plug wire at at time and see if the miss gets worse.. If you pull one and nothing changes, that should be your problem cylinder/wire/ plug, etc.

Reply to
m6onz5a

You could also pull one plug wire at at time and see if the miss gets worse.. If you pull one and nothing changes, that should be your problem cylinder/wire/ plug, etc.

******** I believe we counseled him at the time to buy a cheap spark plug tester and see if he could isolate the offending cylinder. Maybe I am wrong.

DJ???

Reply to
hls

Or you could just replace the wires and plugs; has to be done anyway at some point. Inspect the cap at the same time and replace it if there's cracking or carbon tracking. Save the cost of getting the tester.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

What was the problem?

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

If I dont have this guy confused with someone else, all these points were made. He (I think) said that he had new cap and wires.

I feel I, or we, are not getting the well researched story.

Reply to
hls

yeah it was the MAF nope i need to get a timing light but i think the motor runs off a chain right?

Reply to
DJ_SLIK_GARLAND

do i need to have special plug pliers so that the voltage coming through the wire doesn't travel through me?

Reply to
DJ_SLIK_GARLAND

yes i did pick up a tester and everything looks good but ill run my tests again...yes this is DJ_SLIK_GARLAND

Reply to
DJ_SLIK_GARLAND

would not stay running

Reply to