Re: 1996 Explorer Transmission problem

I have an automatic 96 explorer V8 with a leak around the transmission

>pan, it has 101,000 miles. Also when I am doing about 45 - 50 mph the >transmission shifts into overdrive, occasionally during the shift it >feels as if I am going over mini speed bumps. The "mini speed >bumps" lasts less than a second. Other than the speed bump feeling >and transmission leak the truck is running great. > >Does this sound familar to anyone? > >I took my truck to a transmission place and they told me that explorer >transmissions were known to malfunction after 100,000 miles. He said >they had the nickname of "Exploder". > >Any suggestions?? > >Thanks, >Craig

I'd go to a different transmission place and have the fluid and filter changed. While they have the pan off they can look for broken parts in the bottom.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

"" wrote: > On 5 Sep 2005 14:43:55 -0400, cparsons > > wrote: > > >I have an automatic 96 explorer V8 with a leak around the > transmission > >pan, it has 101,000 miles. Also when I am doing about 45 - > 50 mph the > >transmission shifts into overdrive, occasionally during the > shift it > >feels as if I am going over mini speed bumps. The "mini > speed > >bumps" lasts less than a second. Other than the speed bump > feeling > >and transmission leak the truck is running great. > >

Thanks,

I plan on taking my Explorer to Aamco to do exactly what you suggested.

Reply to
cparsons

Dear God NO!!!! NEVER go to AAMCO unless there are simply no other choices. There might be an honest one somewhere but you are rolling the dice. They will try to get you to let them "diagnose" it for you. By the time they are done you'll have a basketful of parts with a choice of "We can rebuild it for you for $3000 or we can give you this basketful of parts and you can get it towed out of here."

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Sounds like torque converter shudder, this is mostly due to old worn out fluid. Did you own this car since brand new? With that mileage the tranny fluid should have been changed at least 3 times.

Change the fluid, filter, and use the factory type gasket (no cork replacement. Also, the V8 tranny has a separate torque c>I have an automatic 96 explorer V8 with a leak around the transmission

Reply to
Fred 2

Forgot to mention the 4R70W tranny used with Explorer V8 is actually pretty durable especially if you maintain it properly. More durable than the tranny used with the V6

Fred 2

I once worked with a guy who had previously worked for AAMCO. He bragged about the scams, and how they recognized inspectors sent to catch them in the act. That was a long time ago, and of course there are many AAMCO's, but it stuck in my mind.

Best bet is to ask friends about their experiences, find a shop that people agree did a good job for them. A sharp tech can make a heck of a difference.

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

Reply to
Big Shoe

"" wrote: > Sounds like torque converter shudder, this is mostly due to > old worn > out fluid. Did you own this car since brand new? With that > mileage the > tranny fluid should have been changed at least 3 times. > > Change the fluid, filter, and use the factory type gasket (no > cork > replacement. Also, the V8 tranny has a separate torque > converter drain > plug. so make sure you drain the torque converter, some fuid > drains > when you drop the pan, but most of the fluid is in the torque > converter. > > On 5 Sep 2005 14:43:55 -0400, cparsons > > wrote: > > >I have an automatic 96 explorer V8 with a leak around the > transmission > >pan, it has 101,000 miles. Also when I am doing about 45 - > 50 mph the > >transmission shifts into overdrive, occasionally during the > shift it > >feels as if I am going over mini speed bumps. The "mini > speed > >bumps" lasts less than a second. Other than the speed bump > feeling > >and transmission leak the truck is running great. > >

It was a torque converter shudder. I had the fluid replaced 15,000 to 20,000 miles ago but I am not 100% sure if the correct transmission fluid was used. The tech said that the Merc5 (spelling?) Trans fluid has a distinct smell to it and the fluid in my truck didn?t have that smell.

Any way they said it sounded pretty bad but fortunately pieces from the clutch haven?t gotten into the transmission yet. So the transmission was still OK.

$809 later I have a new rebuilt torque converter among a few other necessary items.

At least it is fixed.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
cparsons

For a '96 V8 tranny regular Mercon is fine, Ford Mercon V was initially for use beginning with the '97 model year.

I have use regular Mercon in my '96 V8 tranny since brand new. It has

125,000 plus miles and no problems The fluid has been changed about 3-4 times s>
Reply to
Fred 2