for Jim Warman, a bit OT

Hey Jim, not an Explorer question, but rather about my 2000 Ranger 4X4..I've been using a Haynes manual for repair procedures, recently put new brake pads on. The manual listed 38-44 Ft lbs for caliper bolt torque spec, this setting broke an old bolt, and a new bolt too. Must be a misprint. Can you tell me the correct torque spec? I tightened them to 20 ft lbs, stopped there as I didn't want to break another bolt. Also, any recommendations for a more accurate brand of manual? Thanks a bunch!

JnB

2000 Ranger 1997 Explorer Sport 1966 VW Beetle
Reply to
JnB

Sounds to me like you need a new torque wrench.

Reply to
Hairy

Yeah this happened to me too with a torque wrench I bought off of ebay.

Torque wrenches need to be recalibrated regularly. Snap On recommends every

30 days.

If you drop them you should send it off for calibration.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Scrutton

Ford WSM (workshop manual) lists the torque as 21 - 26 ft/lbs.

HTH.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks a bunch Jim!