ford coil packs

the local ford dealer just told me that my #3 cylinder misfire issue is related to the coil pack. There are 8 of them instead of the normal wires that attach to the spark plugs. The cost to replace the one bad one is $250. My mileage is low but my warranty ended 2 months ago so it is not covered and I dont think it would be anyway.

So i called Ford customer service to complain the cost is too high and there was nothing they could do. I found alot of ford owners with similar experiences online. I mentioned this to Ford customer service. Their suggestion is to let other owners know they should be calling ford headquarters to make them aware of the issue. Also save receipts so that if there is a future recall you may be entitled to a refund.

So if anyone out there reads this and knows of someone who has had this issue, I say flood ford with your complaints so issues like this can be owned up to by ford and they can do the right thing by the consumer.

Reply to
Bubba

I had the same issue with my 99 XLT SOHC. I was 3 months out of warranty in

2002 and with only 19,000 miles on my truck, the coil pack went bad. I did the same thing, called customer service and explained that despite being out of warranty, the truck only had 19,000 miles on it. But they did not help, so I had to pay the bill.

Reply to
Mp3668

My brother had a coil on plug go bad on his Expedition and it wasn't even covered with his FORD extended warranty. It seems ignition parts aren't covered. Pretty sneaky, I'd say. Lawyers and their exclusions - it's all about profit.

Reply to
Tommy Wood

I couldn't believe this, but you *are* right. I looked it up. No Ford ESP covers spark plug wires, and you have to have the best plan (Premium Care) to get an ignition coil replaced. Coil on plug is not specifically mentioned as a covered component

Reply to
DriveSpy

My brother couldn't believe it either. He thought all that money he spent for an extended warranty meant peace of mind, but instead, he got hit with a $250 bill plus the cost of towing. He was afraid to drive the truck because it surged and stalled like the transmission was coming apart. It turned out to be a non-firing cylinder.

Reply to
Tommy Wood

So, go rent a truck, and swap the coils :)

Reply to
chief_wiggum

Good advice.... what a fine, honest, upstanding suggestion....

Integrity is earned.... it can be very hard to earn...... but it is so very easy to squander it....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Chill, Jim.... it was a joke....

didntja see the little smiley ???

Reply to
chief_wiggum

Nope.... sorry.... been working too hard lately - thought it was out of character for you but since Bush has got you guys into another VietNam I couldn't be sure anymore....

Reply to
Jim Warman