FSAs for 1996 Explorer

Does anyone know where I could locate the Field Service Actions (FSA) for my 1996 Explorer. It's partial VIN is:

1FMDU34X2TZB27xxx
Reply to
Glenn - USAEyes.org

Jim Warman

Why hide the rest of the VIN ? are you afraid someone is going to " forge" your Explorer :)

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

I think he's afraid that I might run an OASIS for free in some magnanimous offer of human kindness.....

Though mines eyes be old and poor (actually, it's not my eyes.... it's just that my arms are too short), I can see that there's no second chance to make a first impression.

YMMV

Jim Warman

Actually, this happened.

Somehow someone attained the VIN of a car owned by a relative of mine. That person then did a "lein sale" on the vehicle in another state. My relative did not get the notice of the lein sale, possibly because of being intercepted in my relative's mail or it was not noticed/understood. This was a rather elderly person.

After the lein sale a title was issued to the new "buyer", who was the person who used the VIN to create the lein sale in the first place. That person then purchased auto insurance and the car was promptly "stolen". The insurance paid off on a title of a car that the person never owned and had never been in that particular state.

Worst of all, my relative was now driving a "stolen" car, although because the lein sale license was different than the car's actual license, there was little chance they would ever be pulled over.

All of these lien shenanigans were learned when the car was legitimately sold and a title transfer was attempted.

I guess you can understand why I am just a bit shy about putting a VIN on the Internet. It's bad enough that anyone walking by can see it through the window.

Glenn Hagele Executive Director Council for Refractive Surgery Quality Assurance

Email to glenn dot hagele at usaeyes dot org

I am not a doctor.

Reply to
Glenn - USAEyes.org

I'll take you up on that offer. I've emailed you directly.

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn - USAEyes.org

Even worse with the getting a VIN number through the window. You can take that number to your local ford dealership and get a new key cut that fits the lock.

You can go to the mall, only to find your truck mississing as someone has driven off with it. Your alarm doens't do anything as the thief has a key. Personally I have put a nice piece of cardboard infront of my vin number, and if you want to read it, then you'd have to break the window to get in.

Reply to
mjm

I see that myth is still circulating...... While Glenns scenario is all too possible in the United Mistakes of America, the serial number has no bearing on what key profile coding is installed in a vehicle, the presence of PATs systems make the likelihood of this type of theft extremely rare. Key codes

*may* be stored locally at the dealership level.... accessing the profile code would entail pulling information gathered in the PDI process. Additionally, any conscientious employee would raise their eyebrows very high when presented with such a request.

Some of you guys need to give the paranoia a rest...... whether you are paranoid or not has no bearing on whether you are being followed or not. If someone is hell bent on stealing your ride, they will get it...... locks can only ever keep honest men honest.

You have taken the precaution of keeping a sharp law enforcement officer from discovering a stolen car through running the VIN/plates and making a comparison..... lesseee, yep, got my foot in the crosshairs, now....

Jim Warman

Got your e-mail.... no I wont post the rest of your VIN, but if your car get's stolen/sold, it wasn't me.... 8^)

Pretty unexciting OASIS report...... (warranty repairs are purged regularly so there's none of that history available). Build date 04/01/96, sold

04/17/96, ellgible for California warranty (whatever that may mean). No outstanding FSAs on the car. Just so you know... emissions calibration is 658RR10A ..... find the sticker and you'll see I'm legit 8^)

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks Jim. You are an honorable gentleman...and my Explorer is insured anyway.

8^D