Fuel (?) Problem on '97 Explorer

Hi.

My '97 (4.0 OHV) is having trouble starting after is sits for a couple of days. It cranks fine but the longer it has been sitting the longer it takes it to catch and start. Once it's running it runs very well. Does this sound like a bad fuel pump? I've read some old posts concerning the problem but, as often happens, the ultimate solution was never posted :-| Would a bad check valve in the fuel line account for this? If so, where would I find it? Is it built into the fuel pump? I was unable to locate a check valve on my CD Ford Manual. Also, I read that the gas tank needs to be removed in order to replace the fuel pump. Is this correct?

Thanks.

Reply to
Ulysses

You have a clean fuel filter right?