04 caravan 3.8 L stalling

04 caravan 3.8 L (~ 85K) stalling (engine dies) after fill up. Restarts on the fits hit but continues to stall every few min. for several miles. Seems to be related to the full fuel level of the tank. Fill up is to the first click on the fuel hose and the problem is evident,

If you stop before you get to the full click the stalling does not occur. Van is on a road trip and I don't have access to the error codes.

TIA

Reply to
NotMe

I have a 2004 Town and Country, and it does the same thing. I have looked tor an answer and had posted here with hopes of getting an answer. The following was found at

Engine stalls several times right after filling tank with gas, Chrysler Minivan Shops are reporting a problem with the gas tank on Dodge Caravan, Grand Caravan, Plymouth Voyager, and Town and Country vans. Shortly after refueling, drivers experience engine stalling. The stalling may repeat several times. The problem is the vapor/liquid separator valve located at the top of the fuel tank. The valve is designed to prevent liquid fuel from entering the charcoal canister/emissions system. When the valve fails, liquid gas can enter the line and fill the charcoal canister. After refueling the PCM on the vehicle detects a change in fuel level. Then, when the engine meets certain temperature and driving criteria, the PCM issues a purge command to the charcoal canister to remove the stored gas vapors. It's at that point that all the liquid gas in the line gets sucked into the charcoal canister. The PCM expects to see gas vapors entering the intake manifold and it is prepared to adjust air/fuel mixtures to compensate. However, it is not prepared to see liquid gas coming into the intake. That's what causes the engine to stall. Unfortunately, the ONLY fix is to replace the entire gas tank. Chrysler does NOT sell the vapor/liquid valve as a separate unit. Once the tank is replaced and the charcoal canister purged, the problem goes away.

This is all that I have been able to find besides the advice about not filling up the tank.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
everettcotton

Thanks, very helpful. Any place detailed info on the vapor/liquid separator might be found. I could pull the old one and reverse engineer the thing but no point in reinventing the wheel.

Reply to
NotMe

Tried something this morning just to see what happened. I let the engine run while I toped off the tank then drove ~ 5 miles and stopped the car for ~10 min. Restarted and drove down the road without incident.

I'm also wondering if I put one of those bowel type (aircraft) fuel filters in the vent line to the throttle body if the bowel would capture the excess liquid until it come be vaporized and then sucked into the throttle body.

Reply to
NotMe