Got my Mountaineer: nice ride, but how do I pay for gas?

My 97 302 AWD gets up to 21 on hiway. Average around semi rural is 16.8. Your 13 sounds low. Better be checking something. Maybe start with PCM codes and Long term Fuel Trims. Don't forget obvious, tires etc.

Reply to
Gerald Riggs

I have a 2000 XLT Explorer with the 4.0 V6 and if I am driving I get around

17 city and 20 or 21 hwy. If my wife is driving she gets about 13 or 14 city. The K&N air filter I put in gives us 1 or 2 mpg better than standard air filters did before we switched and costs less in the long run. When We tow our 2900 lb boat we just pull into every gas station we find (10 or 11 mpg I think). At least its still better than the boat itself gets (3 or 4 mpg and 89 octane minimum for it to even run).
Reply to
Rick Venable

thanks to all that responded...I'm gonna ease off the gas a little and on the next tankfull try the "odometer reading divided by gallons to fill it up" method and see what i get.

cnn.com had some article about a possible 25 cent a gallon gas price hike, which ain't good news, but then again, I didn't want a 2wd v8 to just putt-putt around in, anyway :)

Reply to
wabbitslayer

I have a 99 Mountaineer awd and in town 13-15 is possible if you never get on the freeway. Usually with some city and freeway driving I stay around

  1. The computer is usually one mile per gallon over what the actual is. My computer always shows more gas in tank than what is actual. I have gotten 19-20 driving hwy. I live in Seattle where gas for regular is now around .19 but still like my suv.
Reply to
davidgmg