Gas Mileage for 5.0L vs. 4.0L?'s

Folks,

I am interested in getting another Explorer for my wife. Currently she is driving our '92 with a fresh 4.0L and a 5 Spd. I have 2 questions.

First, what year was the 5.0L offered?

And second what gas mileage do you get average, stick or automatic, please specify?

Sgt. Schultz

Reply to
Sgt Schultz

Schultz, I KNOW N-O-T-H-I-N-G!

Seriously, the 5.0, I think, started in the 96 model year. Mileage with the

5.0 eight cylinder is totally atrocious...we got about 14 MPG around town...while mileage on the 6 cylinder (we had that vehicle before we got the V8) was merely horrendous....about 1 MPG better. In other words, if you want an SUV, ALL mileage is horrible so you might as well get the power of the V8....the mileage is only 1MPG worse in an already bad situation! But, hey....even with today's higher prices, gas is still the bargain of the century at about $1.50 for 87 octane. Vroom, vroom...

I am interested in getting another Explorer for my wife. Currently she is driving our '92 with a fresh 4.0L and a 5 Spd. I have 2 questions.

First, what year was the 5.0L offered?

And second what gas mileage do you get average, stick or automatic, please specify?

Sgt. Schultz

Reply to
B. Newman

my 2000 5.0 gets about 15-16 around town, about 22-24 highway. i do not regret getting v8 vs 6cyl.

i believe the v8 has only a few more horsepower than 6cyl, but when test driving, the v8 seemed to be a lot smoother. i don't think the 5.0 is offered on newer models.

I am interested in getting another Explorer for my wife. Currently she is driving our '92 with a fresh 4.0L and a 5 Spd. I have 2 questions.

First, what year was the 5.0L offered?

And second what gas mileage do you get average, stick or automatic, please specify?

Sgt. Schultz

Reply to
steve

Damn... that's bad.

I have a 1992 XLT 4DR with 4.0 V6. On average, I get 19 to 21 MPG depending on how much city driving I do... I am mostly highway, with occasional city traffic.

Reply to
Robert A. Matern

Yeah but you don't live in Pittsburgh.

Reply to
B. Newman
99 automatic 2wd V8 avg. 19 mpg... The V8 also has a better transmission. I would not even consider a V6. You may find that a V8 is a little harder to find depending where you live.

I am interested in getting another Explorer for my wife. Currently she is driving our '92 with a fresh 4.0L and a 5 Spd. I have 2 questions.

First, what year was the 5.0L offered?

And second what gas mileage do you get average, stick or automatic, please specify?

Sgt. Schultz

Reply to
Sonny

Folks,

Thanks to all for replying, I have definitely made my mind up for the 5.0L. I figured that it would get a bit better gas mileage, after all my 1967 Mustang GTA CV gets 18 around town and has basically the same engine, just with a carburetor. Now just to find one, for the right price... =)

SS

PS I do know NOTHING. =)

I am interested in getting another Explorer for my wife. Currently she is driving our '92 with a fresh 4.0L and a 5 Spd. I have 2 questions.

First, what year was the 5.0L offered?

And second what gas mileage do you get average, stick or automatic, please specify?

Sgt. Schultz

Reply to
Sgt Schultz

Used Explorers are a dime a dozen. You should have a good choice at good prices. Good luck! (And you can't compare a 1967 Mustang, because of all the emissions stuff added since then).

Thanks to all for replying, I have definitely made my mind up for the 5.0L. I figured that it would get a bit better gas mileage, after all my 1967 Mustang GTA CV gets 18 around town and has basically the same engine, just with a carburetor. Now just to find one, for the right price... =)

SS

PS I do know NOTHING. =)

I am interested in getting another Explorer for my wife. Currently she is driving our '92 with a fresh 4.0L and a 5 Spd. I have 2 questions.

First, what year was the 5.0L offered?

And second what gas mileage do you get average, stick or automatic, please specify?

Sgt. Schultz

Reply to
B. Newman

mileage sure is strange from vehicle to vehicle. My 95 4.0 V6 gets 19 city 26-27 on highway consistently. Towing a 3500lb trailer gets me

19-20 all day l>Used Explorers are a dime a dozen. You should have a good choice at good
Reply to
barrythedude

Not in Pittsburgh

Reply to
B. Newman

Reply to
Chris W

Reply to
barrythedude

There's no way in heck that ANYONE is going to get 19MPG on ANY Explorer up and down the hills of Pittsburgh. 15 would be excellent.

Reply to
B. Newman

I am interested in getting another Explorer for my wife. Currently she is driving our '92 with a fresh 4.0L and a 5 Spd. I have 2 questions.

First, what year was the 5.0L offered?

And second what gas mileage do you get average, stick or automatic, please specify?

Sgt. Schultz

Reply to
wth
26-27 mpg sorry that's hard to believe, but so is 19-20 with a 3500lb trailer.
Reply to
Sonny

No problem if you dont believe me, but I have nothing to gain, just letting ppl know what I get. The previous vehicle, a 1989 Wagoneer, 4 ltr, inline 6 (small version) got 23 highway, 17 in town, checked as religiously as I do the Exploder. Just finished another tank on Sunday, and mixed is 23.2 MPG. 2 trips to lake, and 224 kms in town. I drive not too bad :) in the city, but stay at 110 kph (70 mph) and no more, 35 psi in each tire, and use cruise whenever necessary. Also, it is quite flat here on the plains.

Reply to
barrythedude

LYING BASTICH!

Reply to
rayfox

Even though you might be a fellow explorer owner - Bite me, Buttsniff.

Reply to
barrythedude