How do I improve my mileage - Nissan Maxima '92?

I noticed that my Nissan Maxima '92 mileage is around 20 miles/gallon - which seems pretty low. I believe I am doing all the right things to conserve gas. I accelerate gently from a stop. During morning hours, I do get stuck with a little bit of stop-and-go traffic but the evening commute is nothing like that. The day-to-day work commute is about 15 miles (out of which 14 miles are on the highway). I have a relatively new air-filter (I have put around 3000 miles on it). I change oil regularly. And I use 91 Octane gas. Would appreciate any suggestions or comments on this topic ...

Thanks.

- SG

PS: Not that it matters - but the total mileage on this car is around

172000 miles.
Reply to
sanjay.gowda

What car is it, SE or GXE? Some items do not apply to the SE.

Think about the tire air pressure (measure it before driving), wheel alignment, spark plugs, ignition wires, distributor cap, distributor rotor, transmission condition.

I will not go into the driving style because you mention u pay attention to it.

Good luck.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
AS

It is SE - should have mentioned that :)

Tire pressures are slightly above what they recommend. So hope that is not the issue.

Is it OK to use 89/87 Octane fuel on my car?

I have also heard that Oxygen/Fuel sensors might not be funtioning properly (the engine light is also not ON though). Also read here somewhere that if you drive for about 10 minutes on a low gear (at 4000 RPM) - it sort of "cleans" the sensor.

Looking forward to any tips that any of you can post here. Thanks again.

- SG

Reply to
SG

If your car is meant to use premium, then stick to premium 91 octane or better. Since your commute is 15 miles, is the weather really cold where you are? Maybe the car just doesn't get enough time to warm up properly. If that's the case, then your mileage will be bad until the car warms up.

One thing I have found on ym wife's 98 Altima, when we bought it, it was getting lousy mileage, like 22 mpg. The problem turned out to be a $6 part, the coolant temp sensor. The altima has 2, one for the gage, and the other one that sends the temp to the car's computer. We replaced that one and mileage got back to normal on that car.

Hope this helps

CD

Reply to
Codifus

This week it is nippy out here - 30-35F - I live here in Tulsa, OK.

Regarding the Coolant temp. sensor, do know where can I find in on my car - and is it very easy to replace? $6 is worth taking a chance on.

Once every 6 months or so, I add Fuel Injection Cleaner additive while I pump gas and I have noticed that whenever this additive gets added, I get unusually higher mileage (about 30 miles or so more per tank than normal). Is it OK to use the additive once every six months?

Any other tips or suggestions are gladly welcome. Thanks again.

Reply to
SG