Hard Acceleration == No Heat

I have a '96 explorer and I'm having a problem when I am accelerating hard or driving over 70mph I have no heat. If I slow down to 68, or stop accelerating then there's plenty of heat and it returns immediately. Also the car's temperature gauge also drops towards the 'C' when I'm accelerating. Any Ideas?

- Greg

Reply to
Greg

Thermostat, it's not regulating engine temperature correctly. This is the engine temperature gauge dropping toward 'C' on acceleration.

I don't know the details of the heater control on a `96, however, the temperature control valve or a vacuum check valve for the heater may also be faulty.

Heater/temperature control valves are often vacuum actuated and hard acceleration may be dropping the vacuum to the point that the heater control valve goes to 'cold'. The heater outlet temperature is often controlled by a mix of outside cold air and air flow across the heater core and depends on a vacuum source to positon the mix door.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Tompkins

Check your coolant level and bleed any air from your cooling system.

Reply to
John R

I did have the termostat replaced once a couple of years ago and it did seem to help.

Would you have any information on what a vacuum check valve is and where I would find it? I was wondering if it might be a vacuum problem but I not sure on how to test it, trouble shoot it, or where to look. Any advice?

- Greg

Reply to
Greg

You need a service manual with the vacuum circuit.

The FORD manual will have it, I don't know about Chiltons and the like.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Tompkins