HELP

This is the deal. I had the emergency brake on on my truck because my driveway has a slant to it. I went to go and leave so I released the emergency brake and then turned my car on. I then put the car in reverse so that I could leave. The truck wouldn't move. I tried it in drive. The truck wouldn't move. I put it in neutral and it still wouldn't go anywhere. The speedomoter wouldn't even move. What do I do? I need answers quick.

Reply to
bigwaverider

Well, if you need answers quick, perhaps you can provide some details: what kind of truck it is, year, mileage, engine size, automatic or manual, 2 or 4 wheel drive? You know, the basics...

The speedomoter wouldn't even move. What do I do? I need answer quick.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

If it's an automatic transmission I'd try pushing it forward a little. The trans may have locked up. I always put mine in gear before releasing the parking brake.

Reply to
Ulysses

Sounds as if your emergency brake cable is rusted and frozen in place. Try a little diesel fuel, WD40 or any other type of low visc solvent on your cables, one on each side connected to the backing plate of the rear brake. Apply than reapply your parking brake tell they are free. If this fails you may have to remove the rear wheels, not 100% necessary, than use vice grips or what ever works to free up your rusted cables. At some point you will need to replace those rusted cables.

Good luck,

R> This is the deal. I had the emergency brake on on my truck because my

Reply to
Ron & Maggie

Good advice, but be VERY careful if you jack the truck up on a steep driveway. Make sure all wheels that remain on the ground are securely chocked with wooden blocks or similar. Try not to lift both back wheels at the same time, Seems obvious I know, but it has been known for experienced home mechanics to overlook the fact that the handbrake will not be effective if both rear wheels are off the ground

Trefor

Reply to
Trefor

This would have been good info two days ago when he posted in a big hurry. The guys probably dead by now. Trapped under his own back wheels in his nice steep driveway. LOL

Reply to
Darby

I bet you're a riot at parties Darby ROFL

Trefor

Reply to
Trefor