Help! - 2000 Ex w/ severe steering problem, stuck in parking lot

Hello,

Just got back home from getting a ride home - Fired up my 2000 Ex w/ 83k and went to back out of a parking lot space, the steering wheel started jerking then the whole vehicle. Enough that it shakes the whole front end and the tires jerk as they move. I'm afraid to drive it home, the engine is idling OK, and there are no odd noises going on. I'm suspecting power steering pump or steering rack, but no leaks from any of them.

p/s is full and last time was added was the proper mercon type atf as per the manual.

Can someone advise what this might be and whether it would be safe at all to drive 3 miles home or should I be towed.

please!

Marc

Reply to
Marc

Let's start with the extremely obvious - is it a 4 x 4? If so, could you have accidently put it into 4high or 4low? That could definitely cause it to shake and jerk on dry pavement!

Reply to
Dan

oops, yes 4x4. not engaged. narrowed it to p/s pump or rack.. not related to transmission.

Reply to
Marc