'99 300M Steering Problem

My 1999 300M with 53K miles on it has started to have play in the steering wheel. It only does it when the car is warmed up (driving for

15 min or more). When the car is cold, the steering is fine.

I'm afraid that the problem is likely the steering rack ($$$$). FWIW, I hit a deer about a month ago. I just got the car back a little over a week ago. The deer wiped out the right front fender, hood, grille, and headlight assembly. I doubt that the two things are related, but I suppose it's possible.

I'd appreciate any feedback as to what the problem may be, and if you think it might be related to the deer-struck accident.

Thanks, Bob Collette

Reply to
Bob Collette

If the accident was covered by collision insurance, first thing I would do is call the insurer and tell them about the apparently hidden damage.

FWIW, I

Reply to
Art Begun

The accident may only be coincidence - some people do in fact experience serious rack problems at relatively low mileage. Typical cost for replacement $1100-$1400 U.S.

You need to read this very recent thread on the 300M ezBoard:

HTH.

Bill Putney

Thanks to all who replied. It looks like there may be a slim chance that it might be the bushings, rather than the rack, although it feels to me like it's the rack. It also appears that this may not be an isolated problem.

Bob

Bob Collette wrote:

Reply to
Bob Collette

If you read the thread that I linked

you will see that I suggested the bushings too, but others who haveactualy had that problem (I haven't) were definite that they had therack replaced (and of course bushings at the same time) to fix theproblem. Maybe it's always only the bushings, or maybe racks andbushing both do go bad. It could be that this is similar to complete trannies being replaced when the only problem is a $15 externally-accessible-10-munites-to-replace speed sensor.

It definitely would be advisable to rule out the bushings before replacing the rack.

Bill Putney

I noticed the power steering fluid in my 300m (after only 30k miles) was

*really* black so I changed it. It's pretty easy to get most of it changed by using a pair of pliers to disconnect the lower hose from the power steering reservoir and allowing it to empty. Then I reconnect the hose, fill the reservoir, let the car run for a few minutes (turn the wheel back and forth a few times) and repeat. I keep doing that until the fluid in the reservoir looks relatively clear again. It takes 20 minutes or so and you go through about $10 worth of power steering fluid, but it's a lot cheaper than paying someone else to flush it for you.

cheers,

Chris Mauritz

Reply to
mic canic