How to change the battery terminal

I have a 1991 Ford Explorer and my nephew said the battery terminal needs changed but he didn't have time today. I went and got the new terminals but I don't know how to change them. Could someone help me with this? Thank you.

Reply to
Jonelle H via CarKB.com

Not sure what type of terminal ends you purchased, but if they are the standard lead based with three screws it is realativly easy. First obviously you need to disconnect the battery, negative first.

1) Cut the cables close to the old ends 2) strip off aprox. 3/4 inch of protective sleeve, make sure this the copper is clean NOT GREEN! Do this with ALL wires as well 3) you probably have more than two wires, make sure you put them to the correct termianls. 4) loosen the terminal end cable clamps attach the cable and wires under the clamp and tighten (7/16 wrench). Do this with both if thats what you are replacing. Make SURE these ends are tight! BUt remember this is only lead and can strip. Reattach your battery POSITVE first, tighten these down. Option 1 you can spray corrosion preventative or you can just srpay them down with WD40 (which is all I do), BUT I CHECK MY ENDS regularly and keep them clean.As long asthey are kept clean you will not have corrosion problems. On any of the cars that I have purchased new I have NEVER changed the terminal ends.

Good luck Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher1