hub knock

my explorer 92 four liter engine 4x4 has a knock in the front hub. when i drive it sometimes will start to knock then if one ingages the 4x4 the sound goes away . the mechanic replaced the brakes and drums ecetera . but then told the wife that the hub is $2500.00 to replace and thats not including labour. the problem is in the four wheel drive not fully disengaging , could i put manual hubs on the truck and still use the dash mounted engagement switch.or is there a stronger spring whats in the hub assembly thats not functuning properly?

Reply to
tk_b

$2500???? Have I got a deal for you......... CanCun, here I come.....

Seriously.... sounds like you still have the auto hubs. Replacing the hubs will likely cost about the same as converting to manuals...... but the new auto hubs are destined for failure. Find a new shop (one without a vaseline container by the till) and have them convert you to manual hubs. You wont regret it.....

$2500???? Shit... it'd be hard to find a '92 Ex worth that much...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Manual hubs $150.00 inclides new lock nuts + $100.00 to install $250.00/$300.00 man. Did it to my '92 love em.

Reply to
pthunder89513