"Hum" in air intake in 98 Ford Explorer

A friend of mine has a 98 Ford Explorer XLT that has an intermittent problem - a "hum" in the air intake at times.

When you lift the hood (when it's making the noise) you can hear the hum and putting your hand on the air intake (the box immediately above the air filter) you can feel a vibration that's not there when the hum is not there. Taking the air intake off the filter makes the noise much louder.

What I've noticed is that giving it some gas will make it stop, but when it is at idle it will return. This can mean either when it's in gear at a stoplight or in park sitting in the driveway. We've not been able to find any way of reproducing the sound on demand, but it happens frequently enough to be annoying & worrisome. It doesn't seem to have any set of circumstances that makes it occur, the most recent one was at the end of a 3 hour drive. I've also heard it myself on a cold engine.

A couple questions -

  1. Is this noise harmful?

  1. What the h-e-double-toothpicks is causing it & how can I make it stop? Someone I know who owned a 2000 Ranger also experienced this noise, and other than identifying it originating from the air intake, couldn't get it to stop or do anything. I have a 2003 Ranger that does NOT make this noise (knock on wood).

Any help/advice/suggestions appreciated.

SC

Reply to
steve.chatham

This sounds like the " IAC intake moan" known as the moose horn issue in Explorers of that vintage (no joke). Usual solution was to replace the IAC valve.

Google groups: explorer moose horn

Reply to
Al Williams

I replaced the IAC on my '99XLS and it stopped the "moose horn" I really don't like a car that moans, it just isn't natural!

Reply to
Cedartown Electronics