Sable - Headlights stay on!

Does anyone know why my headlights will not turn off? There is an autolamp feature on this 1997 Sable, but even switching it off doesn't work. I had to disconnect the battery. I know the DLR (Daytime Running Light) module has not worked in a couple of years, meaning the lights did not come on during daytime driving (unless you turned them on of course). Could the DLR have reached a new level of disfunction and now my lights stay on forever? I've heard I could simply disconnect the DLR and the light would work normally, as in pre DLR era. Is this true? And where the heck is the DLR? Is it the small ~ 3"x3"x3" cube with large number of wires in it above the parking brake pedal?

Thanks for any help! Doug

Reply to
Doug

I wouldn't suspect that your module is at fault. Especially if the lamps haven't worked for a long time. The DRL system will turn off if the parking brake switch is engaged. I would look for either: a. Stuck relay (pulling the relay will allow the lamps to turn off, but may not allow the switch to turn them back on)

b. wiring problem. (a short to ground can cause the relay to remain energized.)

c. stuck switch. (although not likely, it is possible)

to remove the switch, twist the knob to the on position and GENTLY pull the switch cap off. then turn the switch cap 180 degrees and reinstall it. turn the lamps to the off position, and then back on apllying light inward pressure to the switch. this will release it from the dash so you can test it. Any Electrical manual should list the pin layout for the switch in the wiring diagram.

Hope that helps,

Kenn

Reply to
Kenn