3.4L intake manifold gasket

We have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am that was purchased new in November, 2001, with the 3.4L, V-6 engine. I just read today that this engine is prone to
intake manifold gasket leaks, which allow coolant to leak into the engine oil. We have about 18000 miles on it now, and so far have no coolant leaks.
Does anyone know if this vehicle has the gasket which is prone to leaks, or the "new, improved" gasket which shouldn't leak?
Tom
"mabar" wrote

leaks.
or
This will have the old style gasket, unless it's been changed already.
Ian
When did GM change over to the new style gasket?
Tom

2001,
engine
"mabar" wrote

It was only released with the last few months. In fact, the updated bolts that were supposed to be part of the original repair just showed up in the parts department about 3 weeks ago. So I doubt that anything other then the very latest vehicles have the new gasket.
Ian

2001,
engine
Ian curious to know if there's a visable difference between the newer gasket and the old one. I recently replaced the lower manifold gasket on a 98 Montana w/95K miles using a Felpro gasket and current torque specs. It was just starting to show a visable external leak. Decided to repair it before it leaked internally.
"DonW" wrote

gasket
was
before
There is a visible difference. Here's a photo of the two gaskets, new one is on the left, old style on the right.
http://members.shaw.ca/ianrmac/Images/DSC00958.JPG
The difference can mainly be seen in the addition of two metal pellets embedded in the gasket around the outer bolt holes. This is so that you can put more torque on these four outer bolts. The rubber embedded gasket has changed color, whether this actually means anything is beyond me. When GM makes changes, they very rarely go into the technical data of what exactly they have changed, so you rely on what you see visually. Torque on the new gasket is still 15 ft/lbs for the inner four bolts, 18 ft/lbs for the outer four bolts. There are now new bolts available too, these come with the loctite already on the threads from the factory....you just install them and follow the torquing procedure.
Ian
Ian

A belated thanks for the photo. The Felpro's looked more like the old style. I frequently check the coolant & oil level so if there' s a 'next time' I'll buy genuine GM! It's just a PITA to change. The first set went 97K and the leakage was still minor.
I have a 2001 pontiac Grand Am GT when I took it in for the 30,000 mile checkup they said my intake manifold was leaking.They relpaced all the Orings ,seals and gaskets,this was covered by the warranty.
mabar wrote:

nonsense, how could they all be prone to leaks. when you change the gasket always use Perma-torgue Blue brand gaskets. aviation gasket seal, and KW block seal. this is a common problem with all intake manifolds. never use silicon seal on a car its for plumbers.

Why are almost all the webtv users so stupid?
Ian
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

I have no idea but they like ending their post by calling people stupid. Stupid
;)