IT CLICKS RATHER THAN STARTS!!!!

the 99 ford explorer just clicks rather than starts. I replaced the starter and the cylinoid is located on the starter so thats new. The battery was not changed out but i did take it to be recharged. Could it be the cabling maybe but i cleaned out the terminals and posts. What else could it be? Thanks for the help

Reply to
BennyBlu

When you have the lights on and try to start it, what happens to the lights? If they stay bright, there's not enough juice getting to the starter; check the cable to the starter. If the lights go dim, the battery may be bad, or the cables that connect to the battery may be bad (they can corrode internally, and look fine). Good luck!

Bill Funk Change "g" to "a"

Reply to
Big Bill

Check the ground cable and clamp at the battery, and from the solenoid to the starter. You will probably find your corrosion at the clamp, making a poor connection. My advice is to replace the high amperage ground cable cable and start fresh.

Reply to
Richard Ray