Latest info on blend door on 97 Explorer

I've been searching this and other groups lately on the fix for the broken blend door. What have people been doing for this lately? I went to the Ford dealer today and they quoted me around $500 for the new heater box installed. The part itself is around $100 so I can save some bucks if I do it myself. Does anyone have schematics and the procedure to do the job?

I came across an article today that explained how the blend door could be replaced from under the hood. Apparently you can remove the evaporator and replace just the blend door. Has anybody tried doing this yet? Since you can't buy the blend door separately you still have to buy the $100 heater box and take the blend door out of that one to put into the new one.

Anyone else have any more info on this?

Dave Earle

97 Limited
Reply to
David Earle

The price you were quoted is pretty good (about what I paid for the same job) and much less than some others have reported. It is a pretty big job and since the box is on the passenger side of the firewall, it is hard to see how it could be done from under the hood. One poster was looking at cutting a hole in the heater box and working from underneath, but I never heard how that came out. Good luck!

=Vic= Bear Gap, PA

David Earle wrote:

Reply to
Vic Klein

Reply to
Stephen M. Gluck

Here's the link to the article I mentioned.

It says theblend door can be replaced from the other side of thefirewall...interesting. Dave Earle

97 Limited

Reply to
David Earle