Loud Clunk engaging 4WD

When my '02 EB encounters a slippage and needs to engage 4WD, there's a loud banging noise as the front wheels become engaged. I never had this before on other 4WDs. The dealer says it's normal. True or not? Are there any TSBs for this?

Thanks.

Reply to
mnt

My '02 XLT V-8 does this. Scary, isn't it? If you learn anything outside this forum about it, I would be grateful if you would drop me a line.

Bill Jeffrey ==========================

mnt wrote:

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey

It is because you guys are not using your 4x4 enough. Use it even if you don't need it. Go off-road, or hell if your in the same boat as me and live in Canada, Dive in the winter after a snowfall on 4x4 high, not 4x4 Auto. If you don't use it enough it seizes up and gets grime and dirt in the mechanism, I had that noise too but after I started using it more often, I noticed that noise went away.

-OttawaGuy23

Reply to
Teleplus Gatineau

Are you talking about 4X4 auto or 4X4 H? When my rear wheels slip in 4X4 auto I can hear and feel it shift the power to the front. I've also wondered if this is normal. It feels rather violent rather than a smooth transition. I end up using 4X4 H more than I normally would, places my

91 would go without 4X4 because I find it annoying. I spend a lot of time off pavement so not using 4WD enough isn't an issue in my case.

Janet

Reply to
Janet

In my case, anyway, I am talking about 4x4 auto. Like you, Janet, I can feel it shift power to the front when the rear wheels lose traction. I can hear it too, but I wouldn't describe the sound as a clunk, but as a BAM! or SLAM! By the way, I have experienced this only at near-dead-stop conditions. For example, I was parked on a wet grassy down-slope at a farmer's market. As I began to back out of the parking space, the rear wheels tried to do the work, began to slip, and BAM! the fronts kicked in. At that point, with 4WD engaged, I had no problem getting up the slope. This has happened several times, in both forward and backing situations, both turning and straight.

Gatineau might be right, though - aside from these few occasions, I never use 4WD since I left snow country. I'll try to run a controlled experiment in the next few days here, if I can find a slippery spot.

Janet wrote:

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey

Exactly, I experience the same thing. That's why I said it seemed violent. It makes that "bang" and then you feel the front end start to pull. What I really hate is it tries to switch the power back to the rear wheels, the rear wheels spin again, kind of like if you wanted to creep along but hit the gas quickly and then bang, back to the front wheels. Doesn't seem to do it on pavement at all.

I predict you won't notice it at all in 4X4 H. Not the bang anyway. I bought my 2003 used, when I first started using 4H and 4L I got some growling and whining that worked itself out. As pristine as this car was I doubt it had rarely had 4WD used.

Reply to
Janet