need source for '92 rear window regulator

Topic pretty much says it all. Driver side. Deal wants over $200 without the motor!

Reply to
dot

I m curious about the way your regulator went bad. I have a 92 and the front right window has a problem. One day when it was raised it came up outside the normal track and jammed in there. We got it into the right position. I tried looking at the regulator and the track, but as you know, visibility in there is pretty poor. As a stopgap, I have disconnected the motor so that we don't make a mistake and lower the window. With my luck it will be a rainy day and the darn thing will be stuck open. I am stalling until the weather cools off a bit and I will try seeing what is going on. Hopefully, it will be something that can be repaired rather than replaced.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Time to take a trip to the local junkyard. Two types - u pull it or some places will pull it if you pay for the service.

Reply to
ross via CarKB.com

In my case, the cable has separated from the mechanism and the window slides up and down freely - mostly down until I stuck a block of wood in there. My very reliable mechanic took a look inside and said that the regulator is trashed. Not sure if it related to the very nasty dirt rode my wife was driving on when it failed. Anyway, the mechanic called the Ford dealer and blanched at the $200+ price tag. At that point, he suggested I go find one on the 'net.

Reply to
dot

[...]

I've done that before with pretty poor results. I check for availability, make the trip to the junkyard, which is only open at inconvenient times in inconvenient places, only to find out they don't really have the right part - wrong year, wrong side, something is always getting in the way. On the other hand, I've found an amazing shop in CA that specializes in Toyota parts. I get great service without leaving my office - the right part, the right price. I was hoping someone could point to a similar operation dealing in Ford Explorer parts.

Reply to
dot

I read this post yesterday and was glad I didn't have this problem. I went outside and noticed my driver side back window was down several inches and I was sure I closed it before I shut off the engine. Guess what? It's stuck. It goes down but won't go back up!

The buttons on the main control have not worked to raise if for some time but the one's on the problem door worked fine. Until yesterday. I thought it was because Ford put the buttons where they get rained on whenever you open the door.

Reply to
Ulysses

Check out eBay. I did a quick look and found this one 7994152874

Just go to eBay and search on this number. There were other listings. Use "advanced search" and enter "window regulator explorer ford"

Good luck

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

After searching the web, I tried

(UNAP) more or less at random, I'd have to say. UNAP is a front-end for a national network of salvage yards. I specifcied the part and within 24 hours I got over a dozen replies with prices that ranged from $40-75, typically included shipping, most included an 800 number to call for ordering, warranties ranging from 30-90 days. Many had an online presence in addition to physical addresses that would allow you to check the local chamber of commerce if you were so inclined. I'm definitely saving the link.

Reply to
dot

You fall upon hard times, my friend. I see long stressful days ahead. My '91 Explorer suffered the same disease, and still does 18 months later. I, too have a chunk of wood keeping the window up. I found regulators in your price range you mentioned several places. My problem goes beyond accessibility and visibility and wanders dangerously close to disability-my own. The top portion of the frame and regulator that braces everything is mounted by rivets. In order to replace this certian part, I must be a mechanical genious or have a little help from my friends. Though I know what a daunting task lies ahead, I am sure that with your wherewithall you can overcome and teach the masses. Or at least me...Please! Every once in a while I will accidently press the disabled window switch and hear a "BZZZZZZZZHHHHHHHHH." At first I am startled, but then press the switch again, both up and down, just to know that there is still life in them thar door bones. PLEASE send any insight you have gained from this malady to me. Let me reiterate-18 MONTHS!!!! Thank you for so much of your time. All Best!

Reply to
nashjeff