OBD2 eader

I'm thinking of buying one of these. Around £25 on ebay. I know nothing at all about them.

Are the more expensive ones that connect to a PC more useful? I have a '99 ford explorer, (UK spec, V6), and get the Suspension warning light, only when towing my caravan, and only after about an hour. If I stop and switch off the engine all OK until about another hour of towing.

Thought maybe a reader might give me some clue as to what's going on.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions?

Reply to
Trefor

Sorry, that should be OBD2 Reader

Trefor

Reply to
Trefor

A dirt cheap reader like you mentioned will almost certainly only read generic OBD2 codes; nothing manufacturer-specific. And as far as I know, even the better ones are limited to the power train and cannot access any other system. The PC-based scanners are typically more capable. They will read manufacturer specific codes, run on-demand diagnostics and display or record real-time data stream, but but except for the very expensive ones, still be limited to power train only.

By the way, what in the world is a 'suspension warning light'? The only thing that comes to mind is a malfunction in the air suspension -- if you even have this option.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Thanks very much for your reply, I suspected as much about the reader

This particular model is built in the US for the UK market, and is an auto 4 litre(liter?) SOHC V6 4WDrive aircon etc., I thought it was much the same as those produced for the US market, apart from being Right hand drive, but maybe not.

They are all the same here, no other options available, and include ARC, automatic ride control, which is air suspension on the front and rear, (possibly only the rear on later models) There is a compressor in the rear which maintains the height, and I have noticed mine seems to run a lot, maybe an air leak, but I can't hear anything. There is a switch to turn it off when the vehicle is being jacked up or raised on a hoist etc. I have often switched it off and can't really tell any difference in the handling.

I really like this vehicle, but unfortunately Ford UK stopped importing them about 2001 when they purchased the Landrover group as it would be in direct competition with the RangeRover, and Discovery.

regards

Trefor

Reply to
Trefor

The more expensive ones are WAY more useful. For 25 pounds you don't usually get much more then a gizmo that simplifies reading the flashing light codes like they had years ago and a little book that tells you what the codes mean. Often you can do the same thing with a bent paper clip.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Reply to
far north

Reply to
Gerald Riggs

I'm sure that the owners manual tells you to switch off the self levelling suspension when towing.

Reply to
News

I don't remember reading that. The owner's manual says something about switching off the O/D (overdrive) when towing heavy trailers up steep hills. And switching off the ARC when jacking the vehicle - I will have to remember this one now that I've got an Explorer with ARC that actually works...

Trefor, I hope you get it sorted without getting a bad pain in the wallet!

Simon H

Reply to
Simon H

Thanks for reply Len The owner's manual says, quote, "The self-levelling suspension must be switched off befor jacking, towing or transporting the vehicle on a trailer" unquote. No mention of when towing a trailer or caravan.

I believe there are two reasons

1 While it is raised up at one end the suspension will be constantly trying to level the vehicle and may overheat the compressor 2 The airshocks at the raised end may lock up or be damaged by the suspension trying to level the vehicle.

I have the Ford Technical service manual on CD for the '97 explorer and it says that when 4WH is selected the vehicle should raise itself up about one inch. When 4WL is selected the vehicle should raise about two inches. Mine is a '99 and may be different, but it definitely doesn't raise itself.

I suspect there may be an air leak in one of the lines, and will have a look for it, but first I have to tidy my garage so I can fit it in.

If all else fails I will just switch it off, as suggested by another poster

Trefor

Reply to
Trefor

I should also have mentioned the safety aspect of not switching off the suspension when jacking the car up. If you jack it up and perhaps remove a wheel, there is a possibility that the suspension might try to level up and cause it to swivel off the jack

Trefor

Reply to
Trefor

Seems to me it mentions towing.....

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

The reference to towing in this case refers to when the Explorer is being towed or transported on a truck / trailer.

Simon H

Reply to
Simon H