Gearbox in trouble in Ireland OO Explorer

Hey group,

Big problems, I have a 2000 Explorer "North Face" (I think it's referred to as an "Eddie Bauer" in the US). Anyway, It wouldn't engage reverse last week, dealer took it and diagnosed that the reverse & Third "Gear Band" was gone in it. Quoted me Euro 2000. to fix it. Now he also said that the trade in value of it is rubbish in Ireland and that it's not worth doing the work. This is all fine except that I have a broken Explorer that's clearly worth more to me to drive away for ever more, but a dealer in Ireland who really doesn't know how to fix it properly. There's only about 15 of them in Ireland, so the Ford dealers really have no experience of them. It's the 4.0 Litre V6 Engine. Are 2nd hand gearboxes easy to come by in the US? Is it worth doing the work on it.

Any comments or suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Kieran O'Leary Cork, Ireland.

Reply to
Kieran O'Leary

Keiran,

2nd hand gearboxes crop up on the UK eBay site from time to time. There's an Explorer for breaking here:
It looks like a dealer so they might be prepared to ship to Eire. Hope this helps

Simon H

Reply to
Simon H

2000 Explorers are extremely common in the US, and it would be worth fixing if it were here. You can get rebuilt transmissions from Ford, or have your transmission fixed at a non-Ford shop. I've had both done on other vehicles, and I think the factory rebuilt transmission is the better option because the quality control is standardized.

But I don't know if that is much help in Ireland. The 2000 euros sounds reasonable. Someone who's had an Explorer auto transmission replaced recently can give a more exact number, but the last time I had a transmission replaced it cost me about $2500.

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

> It looks like a dealer so they might be prepared to ship to Eire.>

You could also try these people - they deliver to Eire

Simon H

Reply to
Simon H