POLL: 2002+ Explorer, Mountaineer, Aviator drivetrain whine

Do you notice a whine from the drivetrain (specifically the transmission) at low speeds (10-15mph) and again at around 40mph?

Ford is telling me this is normal after the vehicle has broken in. I don't hear it on new Aviators.

Reply to
Rupa Schomaker

"02 with 18500 miles 4x4 4L v6. None...no noise. std 3.55 rear axle. Vehicle build date was 8/02. wth

Reply to
wth

Reply to
Robert DeSimone

Same here. '02 EB, 3.55, 4.0 V6, 4x4, build date 10/01, now with about

19,000 miles. No noise or any other trouble.
Reply to
JonnyCab®

I have a 2003 Mountaineer, V-8, towing package, approx 9000 miles. I had a whinning noise that started around 46MPH. It would only whine while under power. If I let my foot off the accellerator it would stop. It increased in pitch as the speed increased. This is a known problem with the rear end (differential) and Ford attempted some parts replacedments, but that did not solve the problem. They have now redesigned the differential and I got my new one installed 2 weeks ago. That solved the problem.

Reply to
Mike

Ford replaced my differential about 1.5months ago. it did not solve the problem. Ford now says it is normal planetary gear noise and refusing to do anything more....

(This is on a 03 Aviator. should have listed to the wife and bought an Acura MDX...)

Reply to
Rupa Schomaker

I liked my departed '94 XLT a lot, and I'd buy an '04 in a heartbeat. But it's stories of read end howl, timing cassettes, and transmission problems that make it hard to buy one. Maybe the solution is to buy a '02 or '03 used one to be sure it doesn't have a howl.

Amazing - a manufacturer can't or won't fix a problem, so they pawn it off as "normal". You are not alone - Subaru takes the same line on piston slap.

Reply to
Mike

The timing chain cassettes haven't been a concern for a long, long time. I can't comment on gear noise since most of our SUV customers opt for the Expidition or even the Excursion (they love that diesel motor).

Quite frankly, the manufacturers do respond to customer concerns but it can cost many millions of dollars to effect a running change - I don't condone the way things are done, but I do have to be realistic. It can get worse as we approach a new model run..... you can bet your boots that there will be no running changes if they're only going to build 20 or 30 thousand more cars before they set up for the new run.

Mass production techniques and customer demands (notice I didn't say customer expectations) drive a system where it is OK to have X% product failure.... When I was much younger, the goal was "zero defects"....... a lofty goal that is financial suicide. It's not like a stroke of the pen is going to change the world.

We may belabour the point about Fords involvement but there are no manufacturers (to my knowledge) that can build the perfect car for a reasonable price without going broke.... hell, even the "upscale" marques have their troubles....

Cars are a lot like women (and this will offend somebody....) - turn 'em upside down and they're all sisters.

Jim Warman

My intent wasn't to bash Ford specifically. I do realize that "Zero Defects" or "Six Sigma" is cost prohibitive when building millions of complicated vehicles. And yes even Mercedes & BMW's have problems.

My issue is with manufactures who will not address legitimate customer issues, especially warranty concerns. Gear whine at 10K miles is not normal. Much as I like the size and room in the Explorer I'm a bit leery about plunking down $30K (US), then being given a song-and-dance as to why it's noisy. Maybe the solution is to buy a used '02 or '03 & make sure it does't whine first.

Mike

Reply to
Mike