Problem on long trips

I have been having a problem with my 98 explorer sport. On trips over 1 1/2 hrs. on a highway when I stop and start again the explorer starts to accelerate then jumps back to idle once I lift off the accelrator and step back on it runs and acts normal. It has 78k on it and has new plugs wires,fuel filter. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
emtpkluck649

I'm not sure what you're trying to say...

"On trips over 1 1/2 hrs. on a highway when I stop and start again the explorer starts to accelerate then jumps back to idle once I lift off the accelrator and step back on it runs and acts normal."

Well, when you start and press on the accelerator, it's supposed to accelerate. Then, when you take your foot off the accelerator, it's supposed to jump back to idle. Are you trying to say it accelerates *without* pressing on the accelerator?

Reply to
Big Bill

No the problem is if I drive a long distance and say I stop at a toll booth when I step on the accelerator again it starts to accelerate for a second and then jumps back to idle if I lift off and then step on the gas again it runs fine.

Reply to
emtpkluck649

Your throttle seems to be sticking, This scenerio happened to me as well, the dealer informed me of a throttle body TSB and replaced it at no charge.It was strange that it only happened after a while of driving, it would never occur on a quick hop. But since they did the repair I have not had the problem.

Mine is a '97 not sure if 98 is involved but sounds like it to me. You may want to consult Jim W. (The HONORABLE RULER of this NG). I think he will agree that it has something to do with a sticky throttle. Jim is the guru of Auto! Aside to Jim... I for one would like to thank you for you help, I am sure many MANY others out here have you to thank as well. Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher 1