Questions for Expedition Owners

Wife and I are in the market for a new SUV. My beloved 1989 Ford Aerostar Eddie Bauer past away last fall after many years of faithful service(finally got to a point where it would cost more to repair than it was worth so we just let it go), so we've been carpooling until we got our tax check back for a decent down payment on a used SUV.

We are currently looking at either a Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon or a Ford Expedition(the Explorers don't seem to have enough room for hauling stuff).

I have done some online checking at places like Epinions.com and such for reviews, did a couple of carfaxes on some candidates, but I am looking for answers to a couple of questions and I was hoping people on the newsgroup could help.

1) Is the gas mileage that atrocious(12-14mpg/city)? I would most likely be driving it a total of maybe 100-150 miles a week(urban driving).

2) What is the average cost of a decent(I'm not looking at top-of-the-line) set of tires and brakes for an Expedition?

3) Some of the Expeditions in our price range(1997-1999) have over 100,000 miles. What is the average life expectancy(with timely maintenance ) for these vehicles?

4) Is there anything I should specifically looking for, any warning signs, trouble spots, etc.?

5) What do you like/not like about your Expedition?

I want to be an informed buyer this time around(of course I'm going to have any vehicle we look at checked over by our mechanic), so I'm hoping for some answers and suggestions from y'all.

Thanks in advance!

Matthew

Reply to
Matty