94' Explorer question

Anyone aware of any chronic problems with 94' Explorers?

I'm looking at one to buy; Eddie Bauer, 4WD, all the bells & whistles. Seems to be in imaculate condition inside & out with 85,000 highway miles on the clock. No problems apparent, no funny noises.

Any advice appreciated....

Reply to
Tom Jones

Googling through the NG will reveal the shortcomings of the Ex......there's also a website devoted to it's varied problems (somebody will have to help here since I'm slowly rebuilding my Faves folder...).

Not all of the pattern type problems is likely to make themselves known on your choice, but some surely will. My '92 with 170,000 kms on the clock has had the intake gaskets, the auto hubs, the armrest and of course the back doorsill rust...... other than that it's dependable, economic (compared to most of my other vehciles), reasonably nimble for what it is and fun to drive.......

This summer, my son will likely steal it from me 8^(

Bright side is that I have a new Sportster to ride until it gets cold again..... down side is that it gets cold too soon in northern Alberta.....

Jim Warman

Didn't you forget the radiator? Those plastic side tanks are good for a few years. :-(

Reply to
Bill Funk

Some of the '92 problems were fixed so they don't show up on the '94s. My '94 (125k miles) has been ok except for a cooling system hose failure that dumped all the coolant and caused the heads to warp, and a solenoid for the fuel evaporation system canister that failed and blew the ECM fuse. The only other major thing that has gone wrong is the rear door bracket failure which was fixed under warranty.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias

My 94 Eddie Bauer, 2WD, has the dreaded 65 MPH rear End Shake.

I am still researching as to how to get rid of it.

Take the EB for a test drive and take it to 65,, not to be confused with the

55 front wheel shakes.

This is a wonderful site as Jim Warman stated.

Most problems are covered and repairs offered.

limey