Quick Axle/Brake Question

Tackling the front brakes on my 91 XLT 4x4 -

The passenger side (done first needed new rotor and caliper (torn boot)) went together quite nicely. The driver sides auto hub slid on nicely but felt like it hit a spring with about 1/4 inch to go before it snugged up against the rotor, Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that this is normal?

2nd question - When I hand spin the passenger side rotor, it spins smoothly. The drivers side has a perceptible click - click - click sound, something tells me that this is not normal? It's a soft click if that makes any sense...

I'm at a stopping point until I get some free newsgroup advice

Rick

-- Computer recommends - Hard drinking calypso poet

Reply to
pray4surf

FYI - caliper and pads are still off...

Rick

Reply to
pray4surf

More info -

The hub I had snugged up against the rotor with two lug nuts. As soon as I backed those two nuts of a bit, the clicking disappears, I've pulled the hub and I'm letting it drain some more (had been filled with ATF as Dr.Bob recs...) while I grab a bite to eat...

- Step 5 Rick

Reply to
pray4surf

OK - I pulled the hub back off, poured a few ounces of solvent (paint thinner) into the hub, swirled it around, poured it out an repeated. Poured a few ounces of gear oil (my bad, earlier posts mentioned ATF), and let it soak. A little later (hour or so) poured out the gear oil and let it drain, reinstalled the hub. Snugged it up against the rotor using a couple of lug nuts and gave the assy a spin. The clicking is gone....

Pleased with my success, I repeated the steps with the passenger side ( I had already closed that one up, see initial post)

Paid special attention to the slide pins and mating surfaces. All looks good, although the flexible brake lines are starting to show some cracks :-( ... Another day ...) Let's hope that these pads give me a bit more life than 14,000 miles....

My thanks to all that may have replied ;-). None appeared through my server...

Rick

Reply to
pray4surf

Reply to