Disk brake pad sizes

I am haveing a spot of trouble with my front disk brakes. The disk brake kit is on a 65 sedan with dual master cylinder. The front passenger side is not releasing from the rotor. It drags all the time and gets hot enough to sieze the rotor in place until it cools. I believe the pad is supposed to mantain a little contact with the rotor however this caliper is definitely dragging much much harder than it should. My question: are there different pad sizes (thickness)for the ghia calipers ( these are VW factory calpiers)? or it may not even matter if I put a thinner pad in there. Shouldn't the piston inside the caliper release pressure? These brakes only have a few hundred miles so I'm inclined to believe there is an explanation besides worn parts. The pads are virtually new. I ceaned up everything nicely, reassembled and they still drag, just as much as before. Anyone with any ideas? Thanks.

Joel Bartlett

Reply to
jtbartlett

Yes, the piston exerts slight pressure on the pad, just enough to keep the piston from having to travel very far to energize the brakes.

That piston may be stuck in its bore. Not uncommon. With a suitable lever between the pad and rotor, you should be able to push the piston back in with very little pressure.

If the pad is so thick that the piston is *already* all the way in, then this is not a fair test. Substitute something (block wood, etc.) thinner than the pad and try again. I don't like to use tools directly against the piston because of possible damage to seals.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

did you replace the rubber flex lines when you put the kit on? i know they usualy come with them, but doesn't hurt to ask.....i'd say your problem is either a bad hose or a caliper that is sticking....not pad thickness....if you got the caliper and pads over the rotor you are good....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Calipers and pads are over the rotor but there's not enough clearance and they drag badly.. Piston is not releasing pressure and sticking. So...I'm shopping for a new one. I am thinking if I have a soft pedal and air somewhere in the lines maybe it won't pull back until the air is out of the line. I need to wrangle my wife into brake bleeder assistant. Should be a blast. Thanks for the replies. :)

Joel Bartlett

Reply to
jtbartlett

the piston doesn't "pull back" at all...the piston is only pushed slightly back by the rotor itself...it will always remain in slight contact with the rotor, unless the rotor is warped....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani