Checking Rear Brake Linings

I have an '89 V6 truck with dual rear wheels. (It's a micro-mini motorhome). I recently replaced the front brake pads and would now like to check the lining on my rear brakes. I removed both right dual-wheels but have been unable to remove the drum to expose the lining. Tapping the drum with a hammer doesn't seem to free it up. Local Toyota brake man says it's necessary to pull the axle on dual wheels. However, Haynes manual and another Toyota service shop says it's not necessary to pull the drum to check linings...only to replace brakes. Condition of lining can be determined by sighting through an opening in the back-plate. The only rubber plug I've been able to locate on the inside of the wheel (back-plate) is oval-shaped and at the very bottom of the back-plate( at a 6 o'clock position on a clock). I assumed this was the access to the manual brake adjustment wheel since it didn't seem likely it would be possible to see the linings at that location. I would expect a sight-hole would be located at either the mid-right or mid-left point of the back-plate (9 or 3 o'clock positions). Not sure what to do next, so I'd greatly appreciate it if someone would suggest how I can get a peek at those rear linings. Thanks very much. Jack

Reply to
Jack Barr

Do your drums have two Philips screws threaded into the front side (facing you when you pulls the wheel(s))? They're called drum retaining screws. You take them out and thread them into the other two threaded holes in the drum and it acts as a puller. Not sure what year they started doing it, but some such as Mazda and Nissan have them. I did the brakes on my '90 4Runner last August but can't recall if it had them. On the other hand... I have a Chilton manual here that says, "For trucks with dual rear wheels the axle must also be removed."

Good luck. Back brakes can be a pain in the a$$.

Mike

Reply to
mazdaman85

Reply to
Nathan

Not necessarily - sure it's more work, but at the same time you get an opportunity to clean/inspect/adjust the components. Hey, if it was cheap to own an RV everyone would have one!

When I R&R brakes, I'll take fingernail polish and write in the date/mileage/pad thickness on the back side of each pad/shoe. During my brake inspections, I'll note the same three items. Simple enough to evaluate remaining life... As long as driving habits/patterns don't change, you can pretty much guess when the next replacement is due.

Sure it takes a little longer... Peace of mind is priceless

Rick

-- Computer recommends - Hard drinking calypso poet

Reply to
pray4surf

Thanks Mike and Nathan, I wasn't able to find the screws for forcing the drum off, Mike. So, I got back underneath and tried to examine the back-plate more closely for an inspection hole. I guess I didn't look hard enough before because I did find a round rubber plug on the rear side of the back-plate at the 3 o'clock point. Lining doesn't appear to be at the critical stage yet but it's difficult to judge the thickness through that little 3/8 inch hole. I'm sure a Toyota brake man could tell the lining thickness immediately with his experienced eye. Appeared to be a little more than 1/8 inch so it won't be long until they'll have to be relined. So, evidently your Chilton manual is correct about having to pull the axle to get the shoes exposed. Thanks again, Mike and Nathan. Appreciate your help. Jack Barr

"mazdaman85" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
Jack Barr