radio stops working when in gear

My -98 Explorer all wheel drive Limited has the am/fm/cassette/cd/6 disc changer. Everything works WHEN THE GEARSHIFT LEVER IS IN PARK OR NEUTRAL. Put it in reverse or any of the drive gears & the the sound goes away. The radio stays on & the c-d's keep playing, but the sound is gone. At a stop light, I put it in neutral so I can hear music; light turns green-music stops because I have to put it back in drive. Anyone ever had this problem before? My mechanic charged me $60 to try to find the problem, but he couldn't. Thanks, Bob R.

Reply to
CURTCANAM

Bob, Has this problem just started recently on a previously OK installation or have you bought the Ex recently an inherited the problem with the truck, or after having some electrical work done to it? At a guess I would say that some clown has wired one of the radio 12V feeds through the inhibitor switch that prevents the starter motor activating in anything but 'P' and 'N'.

Simon H (UK)

Reply to
Simon H