Suspect battery problem

Yesterday on the way home from work, I realized that I'd left the lift gate partially open after removing something in the morning. I pulled over, closed it properly, and went on my way.

Once I was most of the way home, I happened to notice the battery indicator on the dash was lit, the battery gauge was showing 10ish volts. This morning, the Explorer started fine, and the gauge stayed at

10ish. Same for the ride home.

Since the vehicle hasn't entirely died, I suspect that the alternator is fine, as with a faulty alternator, I would expect tha battery to drain completely (it's about a 13 mile trip each way).

My guess is that one of the cells in the battery has failed, and that it needs to be replaced. Does this sound like a correct assumption?

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

No, It's exactly opposite to what's happening. The light on the dash knows nothing about the state of your battery. It's a charge indicater. The voltage of a 12 volt battery is about 12.6 volts sitting still fully charged. With the alternater putting out fully the system should maintain

Reply to
Steve G

Thanks. That's why I asked.

It's the alternator -- I took it in and had it tested.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski