Re: 30,000 Mile Service: Are my thoughts on this valid?

If they use fords new oil it can probably go to the full 5K before changing, or even farther, since it's semi-syn. Depends on your driving profile.

If it's not wearing tires funny and handles "like it's supposed to" there's no reason to mess with alignment.

No. Ford has specifically stated that if you are not opening the system to constantly add fluid due to leaks or whatever that there is no need for flushes other then during normal pad/disk servicing.

Even with a claimed 100K interval it's MHO that you'd be better off getting it flushed every 50K or even more often if you do a lot of severe service. But you don't need it now.

I doubt they will do anything you wouldn't unless they actually have a cap tester and also pressurize your system and see if it leaks down. I doubt they'll be doing that for $6.30.

THis is one of the few things I've let the dealer do because I've been totally unsuccessful at breaking the connectors loose and it's so hard to get to without a lift (on my 92). I've tried 3 different styles of "tools" and none of them unsnapped the darn connectors.

They are going to turn your steering wheel back and forth and see if it feels "loose".

A bargain compared to laying under the vehicle and doing it yourself if they really catch all of the few places that should be lubed.

Owners manual should list it.

If you aren't having drivability problems you don't need them doing this. YOu should not need to use FI cleaner every 3K miles. Every 5 to 10K as preventive maintenance should be plenty since all fuel comes with a federally mandated FI cleaner already in it that is adequate for cars that have no defects in the emissions systems and that performed as intended. That said, there are a few cars that passed the test for certification but still need more FI cleaner then the minimum.

It should mean they do a load test and clean the terminals.

I didn't think that was so necessary. Thanks for the reassurance.

Agreed. I actually would not let it go 100,000 miles (actually, to be perfectly honest, I don't intend on keeping it 100,000 miles). The longest I was willing to let it go was 75,000 miles..... or 60,000.

I'm glad to hear that. Friends were surprised I didn't try to do it myself. I got some info from Jim Warman on how to do it and it looked beyond me.... :( so I didn't wanna mess with it.

Oh my that's all? Ok I'll mark it off of the list.

I thought so..... that sounded reasonable to let them do that.

miles?
Well, I was having some vibration issues.... when I was sitting at a stoplight, or even sitting in park before I drive away from a driveway, I would feel a vibration coming from the engine which would shake the vehicle. I mean, it was not very bad, but if I were to give the engine just a bit more gas (increase the normal 500/750 rpm idle to 1000 or over) it would go away. But as soon as I let go of the gas, it started the vibration before. I opened the hood while it was running, and you could see the engine actually "shake" when this happened, just a quick jerk-movement side to side. So I assumed fuel injectors were dirty, so I right away began using fuel injector cleaner about once every 3,000 miles (and in the interim, I would use the one designed for "Every other tank"). But, after 6 months of that treatment, it was neither better or worse.
I was told that I should replace my fuel filter 2 times a year (before every major weather change). I asked if that would help my vibration. My friend said that the engine's computer is trying to adjust the proper gas flow, and if the filter is clogged, it keeps having to re-adjust it and the vibration would be a side-effect of that. But, now that it is changed, I'm still having the vibration issue. Perhaps now I should try the fuel injector cleaner now I have a new filter??? or what else should I look at? My friend mentioned something regarind O2 sensors should be checked as well as an EGR Valve? That's all greek to me.... :(

I've checked the terminals, they are not dirty. In fact still shiny :-) The vehicle starts just fine.... should I still consider this?
Thanks for all the info!

Yea, it's a V6.... 4.0L SOHC V6. Sadly I'll make yet another trip up to the dealership :( I'm tired of seeing them every month........
When I bought my '91 Navajo (Explorer Sport) I had this funny whine from the fuel pump. I didn't think much of the noise but I went through and changed all the filters. After changing the fuel filter, the fuel pump whine went away. I checked the old filter for flow and was almost totally plugged.
Didn't affect the operation of the engine, but I'm sure it took some life off the fuel pump.
I'd change it.