Re: Rear brake pads wearing quicker then front?

When you replaced the rear pads, did you replace the rotors too? It's possible that the brand of pads you used were incompatible with the material on the rotor and caused premature wear.

I put 60k+ miles on my X and recently replaced the brakes all the way around and I wasn't even close to metal. Brake mating surfaces do need to be compatible. Most never check, most never have a problem, but there are instances.

r/

-Ian

Hello all, > > > I have a bizarre situation, I bought my 97' Explorer XLT used and originally > changed the front and rear pads for the first time myself in April of 2002, > with high quality aftermarket pads from Napa. > > > > Now again, only a year and half, my back pads are absolutely shot, in fact > wearing metal on metal. As a result I also need new back rotors now. > > > > Any way, my front pads right now are in great condition, plenty of pad left > on the fronts. Is this normal for Explorers? Typically the fronts always > wear first right? Usually pads of this quality, according to Napa last a lot > longer then a year and a half as well. A friend of mine stated the back pads > are hideously small and perhaps this is known engineering problem explaining > why the back wear so quickly. > > > > Basically is this what most users encounter changing their back pads more > frequently then fronts? Or is something malfunctioning, like applying more > pressure on the backs, or the fronts not applying enough pressure? > > > > Napa asked if I leave my parking break on, but I don't I have made sure a > few times and also the light would indicate so on the dash. > > > > Also any suggestions on back rotors? My plan is just to go to Napa and pick > up the standard aftermarket. What's your opinion on slotted or drilled > rotor? Is it worth the extra money for an SUV? > > > > Thanks for your help and comments. > > > -- > > Justin Keller > snipped-for-privacy@drumline.com > >
Reply to
news.sf.sbcglobal.net

Originally I just changed the pads the first time. This time around when I buy the new back rotors I'll ask for ones that are compatible with ceramic pads which I bought for the rear again.

One addition observation, on an upward hill the front brakes seem to not be pressured very much, when I barley release the brake petal and the car slightly falls backward the brakes squeal like they are barley rubbing on the front. Is this an indication that the fronts are not getting enough pressure, thus the reason my backs went out so quickly? How can I test they are getting the proper pressure? What is the proper pressure? Is it like 75% front brakes and 25% back?

Reply to
Justin Keller

Justin,

If you follow this group to any extent you probably have read about the "Caliper Slide Pins" lube issue. Aside from that, if you tow a boat and jetski like me, the rears sometimes get dipped in the drink depending on ramp. This related back to the Caliper pins issue!

Reply to
Ted

Ted,

I do not toe, never have. I am not sure what you mean by Caliper pins issue could you possibly explain? Thanks very much.

- Justin

Reply to
Justin Keller

Justin,

Go to Google then the R.A.M.F.E. newsgroup. Search for Caliper Slide Pins and you should find 100+ threads about this issue. You can always visit Jeff Singletons page,(search Google again) but I think his only covers brake issues til 94'? If you learn to use Google it can provide an abundance of information on almost any conceivable subject. Older 94's had a different rotor and slide pins setup.

Ted

Reply to
Ted