rear end question - 1995-2001 Explorer - 8.8

Hi,

Could someone answer these questions concerning Explorer rear axle assemblies from 1995 through 2001? I plan to convert my existing rear end to a Ford 8.8.

  1. I have been told Explorers 95-01 come with the Ford 8.8. with 31 spline, is this correct in both the V8 and V6 models? 2W and 4W drive?

  1. The salvage yards group the rear ends in 2 main groups, V6 and V8. Are the differences just the hangers, shock mounts and other things that are connected to the rear end?

  2. Can I use any 8.8 type locker (mustang/F150/ranger) in the Explorer rear end, given that the ratio and splines are correct?

  1. What should I look for in selecting a salvage rear end? I plan to replace the bearings (pinion and axle), seals, and cover plate.

Yes, I know I will have to remove all the hangers, perches, and other items on the Axle housing and attach my own. From reading all the details about Ford 8.8 rears, Ford did it right.

Thanks,

Paul

snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com

97 Jeep Wrangler (TJ)