D35 to Ford 8.8 rear end

Hi,

I have decided to upgrade the 97TJ rear end from the D35 to a Ford 8.8, with welds on the axel tubes. Will take this from an Explorer rear, gives me the pleasure of having disk brakes in the back while keeping the same blot pattern, 5x4.5, as the TJ. The weak points as I can tell are the 'C clips'. I could use a 'C clip" eliminator if needed. Any thoughts on this subject or suggestions?

Thanks,

Paul

97 TJ 4.0L

4 inch lift

3.73 Gears, no lockers yet

33 BFG

Short SYE, JB Conversions

snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com

Reply to
pbarton

What size tires are you running? Do you plan to lock it?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I did the 8.8 swap

4.56 gears Full Locker No welds on axel tubes

Pros: New Axle Disc Brakes (may need new porportioning valve)

Cons: emergency brake is much better but seems to stick at times... Full Locker jumps from left to right... POWERTRAXX could not sell my D35 to anyone! ;)

Brian Moga Waxhaw.Net

Reply to
Brian Moga

Hi Carl, I am currently running 33"BFG. I doubt if I will ever go bigger than

35". I currently do not have a locker in the TJ. Maybe I will get lucky and find one for the 8.8inch. I think I should be able to get the stock Limited Slip Diff that comes off the Explorer. thanks, paul

Reply to
pbarton

Hi, Thank you all for your feedback. Looks like I am not going off the deep end by doing this conversion. thanks, paul

Reply to
pbarton

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I think you'll be happy. Don't worry about the c-clips.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Hey Bill, That install you pointed out looks kinda odd. It is showing the pinion rotated up like you would do for a CV style driveshaft, but the pinion on the Ford 8.8 however is offset from center about 1 1/2". I would expect that one to shake like hell and eat U-joints. Parallel shafts and simple U-joints would be the better bet.

Reply to
jeff

The thing that has so far kept me from upgrading running gear and suspension, aside from the fact that I don't really need it, is the desire to avoid doing things wrong. There are so many ways, that you can screw up...

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton