Recommended Code Reader?

Anybody here have a particular code reader that they can recommend?

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer.

I just want to diagnose this vehicle from time to time, and don't want to spend too much.

-- Monkey With A Typewriter

snipped-for-privacy@MonkeyWithATypewriter.com

Reply to
Monkey With A Typewriter

The most economical way to read codes is to take the car to Autozone; they'll read the codes for you.

Aside from that, the money you spend on a scan tool will be proportional to the tool's functionality.

The cheapest tool will read only fault codes and perhpaps pending codes. A bit more money spent may get you readiness bits, a bit more will get you real-time sensor data as read by the ECM, a bit more may get you freeze frame data, a bit more will allow you to graph sensor output while operating the engine under different speeds and loads (this is great for repair diagnosis), and even more money spent will allow you to talk to different types of vehicle computers operating on different communication protocols, a bit more may...I'd better stop.

Anyhow, I think places like Autozone and Kragen carry the Auto-Xray scan tools which start around $100. I've also heard that you can buy scan tool software for your laptop for about $100. I would say that would be the best way to go for a hundred bucks.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Reply to
Tom